Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Classic (Aliens Online) 1998 Game (Read 32368 times)
x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Classic (Aliens Online) 1998 Game
May 3rd, 2010 at 3:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
So, Anyone actually played this? i remember it years ago.. but shame there is no online for it? Graphics are so retro lol.

Check it out guys.

Quote:
Mythic Entertainment
Aliens Online README
Version 1.11
Updated 2/25/98

OVERVIEW

Aliens Online (AO) is an online-only game based on the
1986 film "Aliens" from 20th Century Fox. The game's
story line revolves around the ongoing conflict between
the forces of humanity and an unnamed race of alien beings
simply dubbed "aliens." In AO, this conflict manifests
itself in running battles throughout human-controlled
space between the forces of humanity and the aliens. The
settings for these battles are inhabited planets, space
stations, and space vehicles. In AO, the online player can
assume the role of either an alien or a human and engage
both in cooperative, campaign-style matches as well as in
solo-type missions.

Download Aliens Online (16.5MB)

(Hosted by AvP Unknown)

OFFLINE TWEAK

Quote:
Locate the file "Main.dat' in the root of your Aliens Online folder and open it with Notepad.

Scroll down until you locate the heading "[socket]".

Change "protocol=aries" to ";protocol=aries" (add the semi-colon) and ";protocol=single" to "protocol=single" (take out the semi-colon) or add "protocol=single" if there isn't one.

Smiley

***EDIT***

OCTOBER 22ND 2015 (Add a working download link)
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2015 at 2:06am by x-M-x »  
IP Logged

Otacon
Spawnkiller

Insert personal text

Re: Classic (Aliens Online) 1998 Game
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 5:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
How are you supposed to play it if it is online only and there is no online lol? Bit of a thingy up there eh?  Grin

P.S Swear filter on this forum sucks donkey balls.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2010 at 5:43pm by Otacon »  

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 5:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
lol no... there is a way to play it offline aswel like a single player option.

IP Logged

Otacon
Spawnkiller

Insert personal text

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 5:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
x-M-x wrote on Jun 28th, 2010 at 5:43pm:
lol no... there is a way to play it offline aswel like a single player option.

Oh, It said online only on the download bit so I assumed that's what it was. Looks like Doom. I'll give it a download any way.

Also, what have I told you about being a crazy stalker bitch? I will phone the filth on you if you don't stop stalking me mother fucker. Angry Unless you buy me some nice chocolates.  Smiley

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 5:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
hmmm chocolates...   Smiley

call the filth? im already on the run man and it isn't funny  Grin

IP Logged

Otacon
Spawnkiller

Insert personal text

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 5:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
x-M-x wrote on Jun 28th, 2010 at 5:50pm:
hmmm chocolates...   Smiley

call the filth? im already on the run man and it isn't funny  Grin

I know. There is a £5000 reward so I stuck you in. Paddling pool full of pound notes here I come.  Wink

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2015 at 2:04am
Print Post Print Post  
Post has been updated guys.

New working download link and screenshots enjoy this classic game.

x-M-x

IP Logged

Lucifer
Warriors

Ego te absolvo Hell Rules!

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2015 at 6:17am
Print Post Print Post  
can i run this rom inside anarky?
for exemple... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2015 at 6:20am by Lucifer »  

"Are you the devil? Perhaps abuse your position. Or dominate and control others instead of dominating yourself. Or bring illusions and hide the truth. Recognize your demonic side if you want to succeed in transcending it. "

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2015 at 12:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Total 'Unknown' this game has problems with x64 Bit Operating systems now and then.

But is a true classic to play though.

IP Logged

[AvP2]Texx
Spawnkiller

Troll'in AvP2

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 10:15am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the link! shame it doesn't work online.

What?

IP Logged

CitizenSlug
Spawnkiller

Play ALL of the games!

Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 7:10am
Print Post Print Post  
Hey there x-M-x, I wanted to send you a PM, but I have to post a couple times on here before I can. So, as you said above, this game has trouble on 64 bit machines at times, and i'm guessing that is why I cannot run the executable? Windows tells me that my operating system will not work with the executable. If at all possible, would you be able to extract the files out of the exe, and zip them for download? I'd like an older version, as you have here, instead of the 2.12 out there, and for reference.

If at all possible, i'd be very thankful. It's hard to find these files anywhere out there!

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 11:03am
Print Post Print Post  
Hey!

Yea i would love to help but every computer i have is Windows X64 and Linux 64... so i myself cannot extract or install these files.

The game was last installed by me on my 32-bit a long time ago it works fine.

I'll look into this for you.

Cheers
x-M-x

IP Logged

CitizenSlug
Spawnkiller

Play ALL of the games!

Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 7:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the reply x-M-x, and I understand that it's a bit difficult to deal with old files at times. I don't want you to go way out of your way for just me, so if it's too much trouble, than don't bother. Smiley I figured i'd just ask, in the chance that you had the files.

I myself played AO way back in 98, I was 10 at the time, 30 now, and I like to ever so often go back and take a look at it. I then have the sad hope that maybe someday someone will get it working. But it's a bit doubtful, and it's such a niche thing that not many care. I myself have several GameStorm, the paid service it appeared on, CDs somewhere at my parents house, and my father has several burnt CDs, for old windows backups, that I think I stashed away the AO folder on. This of course is if he hasn't thrown them away. The backups, and the GameStorm CD as well, had versions of Godzilla Online on them as well, which was a top down shooter, made by Mythic as well I believe, in the universe of the 1998 Godzilla movie, and it'll work offline as well.

So maybe I should just stop being lazy, and see if I can find those CDs lol. I just need to find the time.

[EDIT]
By the way, now that Twitch is around, I wanted to use the platform to get some footage out there of the game. Although I don't have many followers, it makes it easy to have to footage to throw up on youtube. I believe nearly all of the AO videos are people just tinkering with the old game, not knowing much of how it worked. I was young, and I don't remember everything, but I do have many strong fond memories of it. Plus i'd like to maybe reference it to mess around with a few map editors, maybe rebuild one of the maps in DooM or HL2. But that'd big a big maybe lol.

[EDIT2]
Also, lol, just for fun, the engine used to make AO, I think, was called the RAZE engine. AO used a modified version of RAZE, and the engine was first used in a game called Rolemaster MageStorm. You might already know this, but some guy name Sorien made an emulation, called Magestorm the Revival, of the server side to allow people to still play MageStorm online. I don't believe it in anyway has an effect on AO, but it's still cool to see another old game, using the same engine, still playable. Magestorm is a fantasy style, spell casting ,multiplayer game, and it's definitely old, but you can see the relation to AO, and it's still fun to play. The only problem is that it's niche as well, so it's hard to find players, but from time to time there are people playing. Check it out! Smiley **I can't post a link, so just search for MageStorm Revival.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2017 at 7:54pm by CitizenSlug »  
IP Logged

KingKenny
Global Moderator

Hail to the king, baby!

Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 10:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've copied over my installation from Windows XP to Windows 7 and Windows 8 without ever reinstalling.

When I launch the exe it actually works as I can get the game to run, but there is snap, crackle and pop in the audio. It's mostly crackling.

When I load a mission, the fps is horrendous with almost all controls not working. All I can do is jump, turn left and turn right.

IP Logged

CitizenSlug
Spawnkiller

Play ALL of the games!

Reply #14 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 11:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Unfortunately with these old games like this, stuff sometimes just doesn't work. Especially with this game having never left Beta, i'm sure there are many bugs in general, and new problems with modern systems. KingKenny, i'm not sure if you were asking about these problems, or saying that this'll be the issue with having 1.11 on a modern system? Your issues with the game sound like ones I had ran into in the past, but i'm not quite sure. Maybe I was from running one of the older versions. Even 2.12, which is the most common version, there are still problems, and appear to even differ between windows 7 and 10. My main PC, running Windows 7, has problems with elevators and moving platforms not working, and i am unable to duck. When I hold duck, you can see it executing the command, but refuses to stay ducked down, which makes certain areas hard to get to. But what's weird is my Windows 10 laptop, ducking works totally fine. Both are 64 bit. I have no idea what causes this lol.

I think, this week, i'll try and dig out my old copies of GameStorm, and backups of the game files, and see where that takes me. As I mentioned above, they'll have Godzilla online on them as well. It has issues with newer systems too. Lastly, I have no idea what the hell i'll do with any of this. Every so often, like every 5 years, I have a strong urge to go back and look at the stuff again. To most, I imagine, the game has near nothing to give, but an old half broken game from way back when. To me though, it was my first FPS, and the first multiplayer game I had ever played. So it holds a special place in my heart. Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2017 at 11:46pm by CitizenSlug »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print