Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Normal Topic help with master patch (Read 14204 times)
lebowitz
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

help with master patch
Feb 13th, 2013 at 7:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
So when I first installed AVP2, I punched in my CD key not knowing the servers were shut down.  Now the game wants to authenticate my key every time I open up multiplayer.  I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, and folliwng the guides around here, on the master patch site, on various blogs and nothing ever changes.  Once everything is installed and I try to open mp, it tries to authenticate my key again.  I suspect my key is stored in the registry somewhere, but even running a registry cleaning after uninstalling didn't make any difference.  What can I do? 

In a lot of the posts, the admin mentioned messing with the firewall, but I can't find where permissions are in windows firewall, and there's no prompt to permit internet access while I'm in the game.  But does it sound like something is being blocked for me too?  What about the endless efforts of trying to auth the cd key?  How can I fix that?  Thanks

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Re: help with master patch
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 6:49am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi there and welcome,

Forget about the CD-Key's as they don't work anymore, if you want to fully clean your registry use CCleaner

www.piriform.com/ccleaner

As for the problem... well most of the time it's the 'gslist.exe' being blocked... and this needs complete full internet access in order for you to play the game online

-----

And yes the firewall is to blame... well (most of the time lol) but you use windows firewall? not sure where the actual settings are for that...  buried deep within the Windows OS i imagine....

Remember! you don't need to authenticate your CD-Key anymore.

Look for anything that's blocking gslist

-- Let me know how it goes.  Cool
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2013 at 6:50am by x-M-x »  
IP Logged

lebowitz
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 8:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ok, so I'm going to try this again, I'm going to detail every step along the way to see where I may have went wrong. 

• Uninstall Master patch
  • Uninstall AVP2
  • Run CC Cleaner
  • Reboot
  • Run CC Cleaner again
  • Install AVP2 (did not install Dx8 or Gamespy Arcade)
  • Install 1.0.9.6 patch as administrator
  • Install SP update as administrator
  • Install MP update as administrator
  • Install 1.5.3 Master Patch as administrator
  • Delete AutoUpdate.exe and Currentversion.patch
  • Install no-cd patch
  • Authorize avp2.exe, lithtech.exe and glist.exe in Windows Firewall

I'm done now, right?  I opened AVP2, and got the same BS.  When I open up multiplayer, first it says "Registering with Servers."  I'm assuming the CD key info is still stored in my registry, and it's still trying to authorize it.  After that fails, it says "Checking Game Version........." And then "Failed Version Check."  I don't know what to do, I even installed the game to a new location hoping I would fix whatever was wrong here. 

I'm seriously baffled by this.  Thinking my cd key is still stored in the registry, I tried googling to find where avp2 stores it's cd key, but all I found was a bunch of sites to download AVP2 cd keys.  I wish I could investigate this aspect further, but alas I'm at a loss.  Do you have any other suggestions to recommend?  Anything you can offer I would seriously appreciate. 

Something else I wanted to mention: When I first installed AVP2 again, I looked at the options screen, and settings I had set previously (Disable intro videos) had already been set.  There's got to be a file somewhere floating around with my settings and cd key saved. 
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2013 at 2:09am by lebowitz »  

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 11:03am
Print Post Print Post  
Huh

Interesting.... well at the moment this is a 'LONG SHOT'

Try and use a different firewall? where you can actually adjust the settings i.e ports and ip's ?

Also when you uninstall AVP2 'DON'T reboot just yet.... do a mass search on ya computer for anything

'Monolith'
'Lithtech'
'sierra'

Related.

Also remember avp2.axe and gslist.exe NEEDS TO BE GRANTED (which im sure you've done)

What OS ya running?

IP Logged

TBBC
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 7:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sounds like it's not loading avp2p5.rez.

Check if these files are present in your AvP2 folder:

avp2p5.rez
ms_client.dll
gslist.exe

Additionally, check if "-rez avp2p5.rez" is somewhere in your avp2cmds.txt file. Don't worry about the CD-key as it is completely ignored by the game.

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 11:03am
Print Post Print Post  
Wouldn't the files run by 'default' tho ? that's what i would assume.

And welcome TBBC

IP Logged

TBBC
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 4:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
You are right, it should load it by default. I guess you can forget about the avp2cmds file then.

IP Logged

Phan-Thomas
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 5:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hey, I'm new here but have/had this same issue and it was driving me nuts. What caused the issue, though, was that I had other .rez files loaded. For example the FovFix and a texture pack. I had to exclude both of them from the commands file.

Maybe this is a starting point for you.

IP Logged

lebowitz
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 2:03am
Print Post Print Post  
Phan-Thomas wrote on Feb 22nd, 2013 at 5:19pm:
Hey, I'm new here but have/had this same issue and it was driving me nuts. What caused the issue, though, was that I had other .rez files loaded. For example the FovFix and a texture pack. I had to exclude both of them from the commands file.

Maybe this is a starting point for you.

This guy... Someone give this guy a medal.  I feel silly now going through all this effort to figure it out.  I definitely had a couple mods I was trying to use from moddb, for some reason it never occurred to me that it could be the mods. 
Thanks everyone for help, you've been great!  Grin

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 5:55am
Print Post Print Post  
What was the 'mods' name by the way ?

IP Logged