Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Testers wanted (Read 31580 times)
x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Re: Testers wanted
Reply #15 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 4:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Nice to see your still around making new maps man!

you said it will be uploaded? where?? i'll upload it on avpunknown for you just hit me up with an email! (or you can have a mini site if you wish... if you have ALL OF YOUR MAPS) you could make a basic layout i'll host you and you can host all your stuff on here) - the offer is there.

Example

http://avpunknown.com/sukmaps
http://avpunknown.com/imphunter

upto you.

Imp Hunter wrote on Feb 7th, 2015 at 3:57pm:
Who do i speak to about the possibility of having this bundled into master server patch 2.1?

That's nice and all... you would need to speak to TBBC but he's gone AWOL at the moment... lol.. but i don't advise it... at the moment i'm in a debate whether to add more maps to the ms patch... because i see it being problematic in the future... another example newest map to the ms patch was added without me being told.....

But then again i could make an exception (because you are known in the mapper community lol)

We need a new mappack in the works for UMP i think...  HHO/00 should get back on this forum and have deep discussions lol
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2015 at 4:14pm by x-M-x »  
IP Logged

Acid
Unblooded

How did I get here??

Reply #16 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 4:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Acid should be bathing in FPS at this stage as well as the above huge ass reduction in poly i've also tightening up the visibility of the map meaning your client will render less at the one time.

So new beta is on,where can I donwload it so I can try it?
Who do i speak to about the possibility of having this bundled into master server patch 2.1?

Why not,suk stronghold server is shut down because there was no players,because they are lazy to download it.Putting map in ms would be good.

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #17 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 4:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
What's the point of a mappack then?

many have downloaded that.. just no one plays it... how many servers host that map? 0... or maybe 1 every 'blue moon'

Adding more maps in the ms patch is a big no no.. because it's a patch not a mappack...

the maps that are added now were discussed a lot but approved by me herr alien and jeff (during that time) since lithfaq was dying and about to drop all support it was handed over to me.

Example

The newest map added ... i didn't know... i think in future it be better just to leave the avp2 primal hunt maps and that's it.

This is a patch not a mappack.

x-M-x

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2015 at 4:38pm by x-M-x »  
IP Logged

KingKenny
Global Moderator

Hail to the king, baby!

Reply #18 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 4:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yeah I'm all for keeping custom maps in a map pack exclusively.

Not all custom maps are good (not saying this one isn't) and not everyone will enjoy them. Also you'll have different people competing to get their maps included into the patch. The patch was original designed just to get online play back up and running. The map pack is designed to hold all the maps. I'm hoping a UMP3 is made to solve this problem. I've contacted 00 to make an update, but I haven't received a response yet.

The only additional maps that make sense to keep in the MS patch are the Primal Hunt maps since they are kind of official maps and not everyone has Primal Hunt.

Also Imp Hunter, I'd take the hosting offer if I were you. If you don't know how to design and run a website, just throw up an easy template. You've made more than enough maps to showcase your work.

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2015 at 4:45pm by KingKenny »  

IP Logged

Imp Hunter
Spawnkiller

And yet it maps...

Reply #19 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 5:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks a lot of the offer of hosting Mandalore! I'll consider it but at the moment im focusing on the mapping Smiley

The new beta isnt out yet, im working out all the possible states of doors, welds etc and coming up with resets for each. From the players perspective everything will reset and function as normal when a new round is loaded. From the mappers perspective...you just dont know the hell this is causing me!  Cry

Its my own stupid fault for wanting high levels of interactivity really. I've also ran into an engine bug with avp2, if you send two "hidden 1" messages to an object in succession its send message on damage command no longer works...ever. This gives me an extra headache of making sure there are no game breaking bugs (basically invincible doors that should be breakable).

Its slow work with all the possible states of doors but i'll get there! The ETA may have to move a bit for the Release Candidate due to this.

On the issue of maps entering the master server patches:

I thought it was a great idea! Avp2 lacks any kind of ftp download for custom content that for example half life or counter strike has. This means less exposure to custom content as players simply don't know how to install it or just couldn't be bothered to find the stuff and set it all up.

Of course i come across as a bit biased with this issue as im a mapper myself, i would love for everyone to play my maps. But even if my maps dont make it in i would welcome any quality maps that enhance the game.

I was under the impression that each master server patch could bring the possibility of  new maps being added to it with the hope that sUk-HadleysHope could be included. If something like this was to happen it would be a great incentive to custom map makers and possibly inspire others to pickup the tools and try it out themselves.

Personally it was a great motivator to get this map done, now im not saying "Im never mapping again because you guys didn't include my map boohoo". Just pointing out something like this is a great incentive for mappers to have their hardwork played Smiley

If something like this did go ahead i would have absolutely no problem veting custom maps for approval.

IP Logged

Acid
Unblooded

How did I get here??

Reply #20 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 5:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Imp Hunter wrote on Feb 7th, 2015 at 5:35pm:
I thought it was a great idea! Avp2 lacks any kind of ftp download for custom content that for example half life or counter strike has. This means less exposure to custom content as players simply don't know how to install it or just couldn't be bothered to find the stuff and set it all up.

Before 30 mins I was speaking with Rommie.he is working on some launcher that is similar to that of valve,where it downloads stuff automaticly,but his problem is lack of HDD where he would put all those files.

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #21 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 5:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Speaking to rommie?  Grin

i thought he vanished again.

Tongue

IP Logged

KingKenny
Global Moderator

Hail to the king, baby!

Reply #22 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 5:57pm
Print Post Print Post  

Of course i come across as a bit biased with this issue as im a mapper myself, i would love for everyone to play my maps. But even if my maps dont make it in i would welcome any quality maps that enhance the game.

I was under the impression that each master server patch could bring the possibility of  new maps being added to it with the hope that sUk-HadleysHope could be included. If something like this was to happen it would be a great incentive to custom map makers and possibly inspire others to pickup the tools and try it out themselves.

Personally it was a great motivator to get this map done, now im not saying "Im never mapping again because you guys didn't include my map boohoo". Just pointing out something like this is a great incentive for mappers to have their hardwork played Smiley

If something like this did go ahead i would have absolutely no problem veting custom maps for approval.

I agree and disagree. Here's how I see it. If you start including custom maps, then what about all the older custom maps that are good and not included? Then if you start including more and more of these maps, the file size of the patch grows. The idea of the MS patch is just to get the game up and running again as quick as possible. When the file size increases, it makes the download time larger and thus more of an effort to get the game up and running.

Honestly I think if a UMP3 is made and advertised alongside the MS patch, official map packs/updates (1.0.9.6) then people will get it.

OR a download could be released that contains a UMP3 + MS patch as a combined package. So the user has the option of downloading the MS patch alone (if they dont want custom maps) or getting the package deal of getting all the custom maps and MS patch together in one download. I honestly think that is the best idea. Obviously hardcores like us would want to download everything together, but for the average user out there that just wants online back up and running as soon as possible the smaller download option would be there.

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #23 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 6:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
KingKenny wrote on Feb 7th, 2015 at 5:57pm:

I agree and disagree. Here's how I see it. If you start including custom maps, then what about all the older custom maps that are good and not included? Then if you start including more and more of these maps, the file size of the patch grows. The idea of the MS patch is just to get the game up and running again as quick as possible. When the file size increases, it makes the download time larger and thus more of an effort to get the game up and running.

Honestly I think if a UMP3 is made and advertised alongside the MS patch, official map packs/updates (1.0.9.6) then people will get it.

OR a download could be released that contains a UMP3 + MS patch as a combined package. So the user has the option of downloading the MS patch alone (if they dont want custom maps) or getting the package deal of getting all the custom maps and MS patch together in one download. I honestly think that is the best idea. Obviously hardcores like us would want to download everything together, but for the average user out there that just wants online back up and running as soon as possible the smaller download option would be there.

Totally agree! hopefully 00... replies and an official UMP3 is in the works!

IP Logged

Imp Hunter
Spawnkiller

And yet it maps...

Reply #24 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 6:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
There are a lot of thing you could do to limit map submissions for inclusion but even if the size doubled of the master server patch from 40mb to 80mb it wouldn't be an issue download wise these days, most people have broadband.

This just seems like a great opportunity to enhance the game for people with zero effort required on their part.

But you guys are the bosses!

IP Logged

Imp Hunter
Spawnkiller

And yet it maps...

Reply #25 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 1:43am
Print Post Print Post  
Release Candidate uploaded! Same download as first page!

Changes:
  • Removed drop ship blocking alien spawn, it was shit and not fun.
  • Added Evac lift blocker, humans now need to hack the panel in vents to open evac lift
  • Added crawl space under main corridor for aliens. Some sections are tearable for aliens to burst out of the ground.
  • Moved power box to crawl space.
  • Events (doors, welds etc) resets coded, currently placed at green light in command center, walk over it to reset events (Testing only, will be non player active on release, will trigger on round end).
  • Culled poly count of map from 18,000 to 13,000, tightened vis, less will render at a time on your client. Dat FPS.
  • Further prop cull, we are down to 45 total in map, not bad considering we started at 170 odds.
  • Panel in secret room will trigger 3 sentry guns.

To reset the events in the map walk over the green light in the command center, this is only for testing and will be non player active in final release, if you run into any bug with the reset let me know! Of priority should be if any door manages to turn invincible!
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2015 at 1:45am by Imp Hunter »  

IP Logged

Lucifer
Warriors

Ego te absolvo Hell Rules!

Reply #26 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 6:06am
Print Post Print Post  
x-M-x wrote on Feb 7th, 2015 at 6:02pm:
Totally agree! hopefully 00... replies and an official UMP3 is in the works!

good incoming ump3?

x-M-x wrote on Feb 7th, 2015 at 5:43pm:
Speaking to rommie?  Grin

i thought he vanished again.

Tongue

I confirm it is more easier talk to a ghost then Rommie XD

Acid wrote on Feb 7th, 2015 at 5:41pm:
Before 30 mins I was speaking with Rommie.he is working on some launcher that is similar to that of valve,where it downloads stuff automaticly,but his problem is lack of HDD where he would put all those files.

in the community of steam there a great talk about the open beta.
What did he tell you about his work?

« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2015 at 6:45am by Lucifer »  

"Are you the devil? Perhaps abuse your position. Or dominate and control others instead of dominating yourself. Or bring illusions and hide the truth. Recognize your demonic side if you want to succeed in transcending it. "

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #27 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 4:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Lucifer wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 6:06am:
good incoming ump3?

Hopefully... we are due a new one after all these years...

Lucifer wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 6:06am:
I confirm it is more easier talk to a ghost then Rommie XD

Now that's hilarious.... Rommie has great skills and potential.... just a shame the whole avp2 community hate him.. (well 95% of it)

« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2015 at 4:07pm by x-M-x »  
IP Logged

Imp Hunter
Spawnkiller

And yet it maps...

Reply #28 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 7:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
New version uploaded, Release Candidate 2! Same download link in the first post!

Changes:
  • Alien Vent added from operations ceiling to medilab, this was to eliminate the choke point in the tiny room connecting the them. The extra vent will only unlock after the humans have torched the door leading to medical, this will prevent the map devolving into a bullshit camp fest.
  • All windows in medical lab can now be broken. Again this was to remove a silly choke point from hugger room to recovery room.
  • Corridor barricade reworked to allow more alien movement and give them more cover.
  • Further prop cull and conversion to static geo, down from 45 to 32 props total.
  • Balance tweaks for pickups
  • Removed evac door opening movie, was shit and not fun.
  • Other misc changes that i totally forgot about but where not massively important.

This will be the last release candidate before full release, if there are no critical bugs reported the map will be released in a few days,

To do:
Wire map into TBBC custom reset command.
Release.

As always hit me with feedback here or via email!

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #29 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 9:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Imp Hunter wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 7:48pm:
This will be the last release candidate before full release, if there are no critical bugs reported the map will be released in a few days,

Send me it via email and i'll host it for you.

(plan to be getting a lot of files in the future from avp2files etc and be hosting all avp2 known custom content)

I'll also do a news post about it once it's released.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print