Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Help with skins!!! (Read 33514 times)
Acid
Unblooded

How did I get here??

Help with skins!!!
Jan 13th, 2015 at 11:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK,I started to create my own skins and everything is doing good except one thing, SNIPER SCOPE!!!I cant get how to create clear scope.If someone knows and want to help for his info I am using GIMP.Thx in advance.

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Re: Help with skins!!!
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2015 at 9:57am
Print Post Print Post  
Cheater!!!  Grin

I remember the days when people had the clear scope pack  it's fucking stupid... llol

why not make an awesome one?

make an awesome one naow!! I COMMAND YOU!!!  Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2015 at 9:58am by x-M-x »  
IP Logged

Acid
Unblooded

How did I get here??

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2015 at 1:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Cheater????WHY THAT?You still need to aim!!!Awesome???
I am not really creative,if you have some idea tell me.
I cant make one I have problems with layers.

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2015 at 1:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
lol, relax fella!

Many years ago.... 2002/2007 era anyone that used a CLEAR scope was known as a cheating bastard lol

the scope is fine, what do you want to do with it???

You should become a Skinner and make skins for the community.

or you can try my 'Have a nice Day Pulse Rifle skin'

http://avpunknown.com/avp2files/avp2weapons/hnd.zip

IP Logged

Acid
Unblooded

How did I get here??

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2015 at 5:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well I was bored with default skins so I tried to make something...All skins are basic not something special!

First is pistol

Nothing special,also I edited muzzle flash.

Next is shotgun

I tried to edit shotgun muzzle flash but I couldnt find file of it!

Pulsee

Cool

Grenade Launcher

Nothing special but it is better then original,also I worked on health and armor and it is easier to find them  Smiley

Flamethrower

Simple skin,also I worked on ammo box and in future I will change the flame.

I worked on smartgun and rocket launcher but I hate them so I wont show them. Tongue

Minigun

I really like this one and its muzzle flash!!!

Sniper

I am really proud on this one  Cool

And sniper scope that I get from another person

Also I edited health and armor icon and I replaced old big crosshair with new small dot-like for more headshots.Next thing I wanna is to edit scope and motion detector.

x-M-x wrote on Jan 14th, 2015 at 1:59pm:
You should become a Skinner and make skins for the community

Maybe since last skin on filefront is like from 2010,we will see for that I am dont have lot of good ideas.

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2015 at 8:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Not bad,

Filefront is dead,

last skin on avp2files/filefront was mine 2011 lol (been tooo busy to make skins but i'll get back in the routine)

http://aliensvspredator2.filefront.com/developer/xMandalorex;12343

List of my work.

IP Logged

Acid
Unblooded

How did I get here??

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2015 at 10:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Wow you have really long list of skins,some of them I used but I didnt know that you maked them.Filefront is dead,you mean nobody upload their works there or?

IP Logged

KingKenny
Global Moderator

Hail to the king, baby!

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2015 at 8:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
x-M-x wrote on Jan 14th, 2015 at 8:39pm:
Not bad,

Filefront is dead,

last skin on avp2files/filefront was mine 2011 lol (been tooo busy to make skins but i'll get back in the routine)

http://aliensvspredator2.filefront.com/developer/xMandalorex;12343

List of my work.

Showoff. Wink

Acid wrote on Jan 13th, 2015 at 11:07pm:
OK,I started to create my own skins and everything is doing good except one thing, SNIPER SCOPE!!!I cant get how to create clear scope.If someone knows and want to help for his info I am using GIMP.Thx in advance.

I'm not sure on gimp, as I don't use it. But you have to set up an alpha layer on an image.

Lets say the scope tga file is 256x256 (or whatever it is). Paint it all black, then create an alpha channel on the same picture. The alpha channel will make everything that is black become invisible; ie the whole image. This should work for almost all textures in the game, but there were a few that it didn't on. The scope is part of the HUD overlay so it should work.

Do a search for GIMP alpha channel or GIMP transparency to figure how the exact steps. I used to struggle with transparency a lot too back in the day. I have paintshop and photoshop. I use photoshop for transparency effects exclusively and paintshop for everything else.

Oh as for your skins, those are good first steps. They're basically color skins. Basic stuff but you can do neat things sometimes with color skins. Next time you make a skin try importing a texture to use as a brush. Like if you do an image search for camo, you could grab a camo texture and make it a brush to paint onto marine armor. When I started making skins I would do image searches for any texture I could think of (fire, ice, ground, cloth, leaves, camo, metal, etc).
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2015 at 8:13pm by KingKenny »  

IP Logged

Acid
Unblooded

How did I get here??

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2015 at 8:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thx King for advices.Yeah they are basic color job but I wanted to give a try.Yeah maybe I start to make some "advance" skins,gun sound,etc.....As for GIMP,well it is free and good for beginners and my laptop cant handle better programs.

IP Logged

KingKenny
Global Moderator

Hail to the king, baby!

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2015 at 10:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Acid wrote on Jan 15th, 2015 at 8:34pm:
Thx King for advices.Yeah they are basic color job but I wanted to give a try.Yeah maybe I start to make some "advance" skins,gun sound,etc.....As for GIMP,well it is free and good for beginners and my laptop cant handle better programs.

No problem.

I just checked and GIMP does handle alpha channels.

IP Logged

Acid
Unblooded

How did I get here??

Reply #10 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 3:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK,I started to edit alien skins,basically I saw one alien skin pack on filefront so I tried to make my own

I call it Neon Aliens,tell me your opinion,good or bad,so I can decide will I continue or not.Sorry for bad quality,game resolution is 600X400 or something..

IP Logged

KingKenny
Global Moderator

Hail to the king, baby!

Reply #11 - Jan 17th, 2015 at 6:00am
Print Post Print Post  
Yeah it's neon alright. Good for your first alien skin. It's still a color skin, which can be really good depending on what the change is.

Full-fledged color skins of characters and weapons have been done by everyone (including me). They're considered beginner level skins. Personally I think they're good for things like vision modes, huds, fonts, small changes.

Yours isn't bad, it's ok. Once you get out of the color skin stuff and start making the skins look different as in new textures and design, that's when you'll get more creative and come up with interesting designs.

I don't know if there is a demand for skins anymore since not many people play the game nowadays. Undecided

Any custom file that is made nowadays should be primarily made for the enjoyment of the creator. If other people want it, then share it with a download link.

IP Logged

Acid
Unblooded

How did I get here??

Reply #12 - Jan 17th, 2015 at 11:16am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Yours isn't bad, it's ok. Once you get out of the color skin stuff and start making the skins look different as in new textures and design, that's when you'll get more creative and come up with interesting designs.

Well thx for your support,I am new at this I need lot of practise,when master this I will try something harder...

Quote:
I don't know if there is a demand for skins anymore since not many people play the game nowadays. Undecided

Any custom file that is made nowadays should be primarily made for the enjoyment of the creator. If other people want it, then share it with a download link.

Hmm,there is around 80 active players nowadays.Not bad for this old game.But game need something new,today modern and popular games have lot of custom stuff and other things,avp2 didnt get anything new except master server patches(if you count that as something new).This game have a lot of potential and still it can bring players.

IP Logged

JP
Spawnkiller

pro Spawn Killer

Reply #13 - Jan 17th, 2015 at 2:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
for skins with alpha layer

lets say i want to create alpha mask for this texture

just paint everything you want to be invisible black and then turn the image into a greyscale

leaving everything you want to be visible white. darker grey = more transparent

now you import the alpha layer to dedit

and just set the texture flags like it was on the original texture

also if anyone is wondering avp supports textures up to 1024x1024, so you can make a skin with much higher resolution than it had originaly, this has a dramatic effect on model skins for example

this is one of the experiments i did recently, it wouldnt be even possible to get this detail with the original resolution of the pulse skin.

so in theory you can have "HD" versions of all the skins in the game

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #14 - Jan 17th, 2015 at 3:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Good TuT JP!

Also Acid this forum has a few tutorials on how to make decent skins etc, (search around fella)  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print