Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Thoughts on Alien Isolation? (Read 21575 times)
x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Thoughts on Alien Isolation?
Jan 18th, 2015 at 10:23pm
Print Post Print Post  

Had this for a while now on (PS4) fucking amazing game! dark atmosphere etc,

Only downside is you cannot kill the alien AT ALL.....  Undecided (more of a hide n sneak game)

Anyone on here played it? what you guys/girls think of it?

IP Logged

geran
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Re: Thoughts on Alien Isolation?
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 5:26am
Print Post Print Post  
I played through it with two stops in around 3 days.

The graphics and story are more like an interactive movie than a game.
If you look really close, some objects repeat but it's still top. And the bit earlier tech style from the first few aliens movies was well implemented by the game.
You have an open map which is a bit useless because if you searched through everything, there's no reason to go there again. Other than that, the story goes very straight movielike.
There are some parts which are meant to stretch time where you just sneak or where the AI doesn't make sense but the atmosphere is still stunning.
And sadly theres no 1 Alien vs 1 Human multiplayer. (Co-op wouldnt fit into the Story).
So when you're through, theres only a survive mode.
The ending of Alien Isolation is like a part on its own - a bit depressing but still one of the best parts.
Just when you think its over, the game just shows you that you won't get away that easily in an amazing way.
At some places the AI is kinda silly like when you just hide in some corner next to some door and the Alien comes from the ceiling and leaves through that door just quarter a length next to you but ok.

Spoiler :
>>>It would be great if you had the possibility to safe your team members like from the overheating reactor or the one that tried to talk to Apollo ;_;. I know that the game is named 'isolation' for a reason but still.
>>>And after you went through the reactor part, you still fight against maximal one alien which doesn't make sense since there were like 30 running around. The devs could give Ripley an weapon which kills one Alien and another one follows somewhen you but the game bestows nothing except that flamethrower and radar.

Some hints:

I had a lot of fun making the alien kill the enemies with the noisemaker.
If you have that blueprint and some enemies and a place to hide nearby, grab some popcorn and watch the alien doing its best.
Also if some non friendly humans see the alien, they either pull it by shooting or shit their pants and hide.
Either way, they won't bother you anymore and might be a good life shield for some seconds if the alien is after you.
Outrunning Androids and hiding is another good tactic but you have to carefully watch the ceiling  Wink.
You 'can' outrun the alien if you run to the elevator while it isn't that close to you.
But normally the best way is to sneak around them.
The stun baton is good for killing single Androids, the EMP is good for more Androids.
The flash nade is good against humans and the molotov against the alien (for a very short time and the fire might cuts your way out).
Ammo is very rare so keep it - in most cases you can sneak away but there are some parts where it is easier to kill all androids to walk freely around.
The Flamethrower is nice but once you burned the alien a few times, it wont let off until you're either out of fuel, hide in a box for some minutes or don't watch your back or the ceiling vents.
Also the service vents on the floor are a lot safer than the vents with the iris door. Sometimes you'll have to use the re-wiring system to access them but they are pretty helpful.
The re-wiring system can be used for air purification and accessing locked doors to some extras. Its very easy to oversee it.

Technically it is good aswell.
It run's on middle class pc's with good fps and graphic settings because its well optimized.
Here are some ingame screenshots in 4k:

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2015 at 5:30am by geran »  

IP Logged

Lucifer
Warriors

Ego te absolvo Hell Rules!

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 8:41am
Print Post Print Post  
trolling time alien isolation in garry's mod XD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNUji22pyI8
ai bot alien isolation test in garry's mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXCJ3JcncDA
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2015 at 9:02am by Lucifer »  

"Are you the devil? Perhaps abuse your position. Or dominate and control others instead of dominating yourself. Or bring illusions and hide the truth. Recognize your demonic side if you want to succeed in transcending it. "

IP Logged

Legend
Unblooded

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 9:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
I like the game alot too. I finished the story plus DLC survivor modes especially the latest one safe haven. Its a long objective mode but quite fun. Im still trying to pass story mode on nightmare difficulty.

Here are couple of my gameplay videos mostly survival mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id2X0XRsJMk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WomZMslwCGg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zQ9FRmz6u4
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2015 at 9:18pm by Legend »  

IP Logged

0neTrickMilenko
Spawnkiller

ain't no shame in my game

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2015 at 11:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Amazing game, atmosphere feels like Alien(1979). It's a little buggy but what game isn't? But it tends to get easy once you figured out how the AI reacts, not only the alien, but the humans+androids. I also felt the game to be a little empty once you explored everything. Also wish they gave you more options to " build " things - my creativity is def. out there and i wanted to build so many things but couldn't.

" Hand 2 Hand - True Honor "

IP Logged

Lucifer
Warriors

Ego te absolvo Hell Rules!

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 5:13pm
Print Post Print Post  

"Are you the devil? Perhaps abuse your position. Or dominate and control others instead of dominating yourself. Or bring illusions and hide the truth. Recognize your demonic side if you want to succeed in transcending it. "

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2015 at 6:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Anyone played the 'DLC' of this game? it's not bad! i might need to get the pc version in future.

IP Logged

Olde
AvP Classic Support

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 4:17am
Print Post Print Post  
A:I to me is a door-unlocking datalog-reading simulator and basically nothing more. Everything interesting happens before the events of the game. The characters completely lack personality and I didn't give a shit who lived and who died. The only redeeming part imo was chapter 9 (or whatever chapter had the flashback).

Quote:
I insult you because of the asshole and scum that you prove us all to be.  - En Sabah Nur on TBBC Forums

Lucifer wrote on Oct 8th, 2016 at 9:54am:
go to fuck your self olde!

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 3:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
It's like a 'hide n seek' game you cannot kill the alien at all, (but can kill the other enemies)

Typical hide don't get caught moments.

Still it's far better than Aliens CM and AvP 2010.

IP Logged

Olde
AvP Classic Support

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2015 at 6:11am
Print Post Print Post  
I didn't have any gripes with the hiding from the alien aspect. It was the lack of story and it's lack of getting me invested in any character that pissed me off.

Quote:
I insult you because of the asshole and scum that you prove us all to be.  - En Sabah Nur on TBBC Forums

IP Logged

thecanonmaster
Unblooded

g_pLTClient

Reply #10 - Oct 15th, 2015 at 3:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Here we go

Good:

1) Good visuals (graphics and movie-look interiors designs)

Bad:

1) Ugly and not-authentic alien creature. Mix of original design and ADI shit. Bad sounds and vocals. Alien should be a sneaky killer, not noisy stomping tramp.
2) Music. Soundtrack quotes original Goldsmith music, but from my point of view, it has invalid mood. Music reminds me Alien 4 soundtrack, filled with despair.
3) Lighting. Shadows are too dark, very similar to Doom 3/Thief 3 shadows.
4) Seegson Synthetics? What a shit, there are a lot of corporations mentioned in Nostromo Crew profiles in Aliens.
5) "VHS effects" abuse. All that interference on screens/monitors/menus, intentionally bad video quality and etc. It is just a bad taste.
6) Near fan-fiction quality story line.

IP Logged

Olde
AvP Classic Support

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #11 - Oct 15th, 2015 at 7:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes! Finally someone agrees with me! If you want me to be brutally honest, the game seems undeveloped. I agree with most of what canon says.

1) The alien is hideous as per canon's notes. I mean, it's just wrong; the legs, the skin, the clunkiness...they botched it wholesale. The visuals made me feel like it's the wrong enemy for this game.
2) The music is completely forgettable aside from the occasional blatant rips from Alien.
3) I didn't have a problem with the shadows but rather with how cinematic the light effects themselves were. There's hardly a single light that doesn't have a lens flare.
4) The whole Seegson plot was moronic from the start. They didn't exist in Alien and didn't matter in this game. Androids go rogue...wow. Cliche much? The androids were totally boring and unnecessary to have in the first place. Their sole existence was to keep the game having enemies when the alien wasn't around. I thought they should have had more human enemies.
5) I thought the VHS effect was a nice touch in the beginning but it became abuse.
6) Story? What story?

In terms of atmosphere, Alien: Isolation just felt like Bioshock...IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!! Most of its success I feel is attributed to its coinciding with the rising popularity of over-the-top horror playthroughs a la PewDiePie with games like FNAF. Alien: Isolation is worse than Alien: Resurrection because even though A:R might have technically had a worse plot, at least some parts were memorable. Alien: Isolation falls victim to the worst aspect a piece of fiction can achieve, which is that it does so little to impact the viewer that it becomes instantly forgettable.

Quote:

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #12 - Oct 15th, 2015 at 10:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
wow, i knew you guys didn't like it, but didn't think you hate it that much!

I think the game is alright, much better than the shitty AvP2010.

IP Logged

thecanonmaster
Unblooded

g_pLTClient

Reply #13 - Oct 16th, 2015 at 11:16am
Print Post Print Post  
not hate, just the truth  Grin

The overall point is: if Isolation is the first not bad Alien game since AVP2, it is not a reason for blind love. We deserve better after AVP10 and ACM.

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #14 - Oct 16th, 2015 at 3:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
thecanonmaster wrote on Oct 16th, 2015 at 11:16am:
We deserve better after AVP10 and ACM.

Absolutely

IP Logged