Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Normal Topic The End of 'AvP2Files' (Read 5395 times)
x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

The End of 'AvP2Files'
Jul 25th, 2015 at 12:24am
Print Post Print Post  
Hey everyone, i thought i'll mention this sad news today,

I've been speaking to friends/staff over at filefront/gamefront

And they have sent this following statement.

Quote:
Hey all,

While the fact that the Network Sites are now, suddenly, offline may come as a surprise to many, we all knew this day would come.

Of course, the websites were a big part of the history and overall contribution to GameFront for a lengthy period of time. They brought with them a thriving community based around popular titles of the time and files that couldn't be found anywhere else on the internet. (literally) Of course, we had our spats and occasional turbulent times, but in the end we all came together as one big family.

The problem is, the house we lived in wasn't built in a way that could allow those who didn't create it, to fix its issues properly. When you try to fix one thing, several other sections would break down. Of course, when you bring in a team that has never seen the network site code before and ask them to repair the issues, you're going to find that it's as daunting a task as asking a toddler to stop saying "no".

So, because of the difficulty and amount of work it would take to even learn how everything operated before anything could be fixed, it was pushed to the back burner to fix other portions of GameFront.

Now, I would like to say in the defense of our corporate overlords that they did return to the network sites to look into them when they could, but, as I said above about not knowing what made what work, they ended up not doing much of anything to fix the issues. It's not their fault, the way the sites were coded were never really meant to make sense to those who created it as they never expected others to ever look at it.

So here we are, a large portion of GameFront that hasn't been able to be updated in years, mixed with random issues that plague it such as screenshots randomly not loading even when they're physically there or the load balance issue that forced you to refresh the page until you were given a valid link to download a file from. It went from a symbol of gaming quality to a blotch on GameFront that made us look broken.

The sites were taken offline and will not return. Right now, we're working on getting the domains to redirect to their respective GameFront counterparts. But, the network sites as you knew them are gone.

I apologize to those who still used them and throughout the years of their use, I thank the volunteers that participated in making them work. Without your support, they wouldn't have lasted nearly as long as they have.

Thanks,
Jeff Mills
GameFront Site/Community/All-of-the-above Manager

It had to happen sooner or later.... and it was awesome/fun to run AvP2Files for 10+ years!

AvP2 Files 2000 - 2015

Smiley

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2015 at 12:24am by x-M-x »  
IP Logged

KingKenny
Global Moderator

Hail to the king, baby!

Re: The End of 'AvP2Files'
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 12:55am
Print Post Print Post  
I'm glad I have a 100% backup of every download off of avp2files. Cheesy

http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/Aliens-vs-Predator-2/ - still works thankfully.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2015 at 12:55am by KingKenny »  

IP Logged

Lucifer
Warriors

Ego te absolvo Hell Rules!

Re: The End of 'AvP2Files'
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 11:56am
Print Post Print Post  
KingKenny wrote on Jul 25th, 2015 at 12:55am:
I'm glad I have a 100% backup of every download off of avp2files. Cheesy

http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/Aliens-vs-Predator-2/ - still works thankfully.

i hope its not last dinner
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2015 at 12:00pm by Lucifer »  

"Are you the devil? Perhaps abuse your position. Or dominate and control others instead of dominating yourself. Or bring illusions and hide the truth. Recognize your demonic side if you want to succeed in transcending it. "

IP Logged