Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Normal Topic [GUIDE] How to Unlock the SP Cheat Options (Read 4549 times)
Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

[GUIDE] How to Unlock the SP Cheat Options
Oct 26th, 2015 at 8:19am
Print Post Print Post  
This guide provides a set of descriptions of and list of requirements for each of the game's single-player bonus gameplay modes (this game's unlockable achievements, called Cheat Options by the game's own terminology). It also includes my personal strategies for how to go about obtaining some of the harder ones.

Introduction
Rebellion's Aliens versus Predator for the PC (1999) and the later Gold Edition (2000) both came with the ability to earn new features that change and enhance the game's single-player experience. Dubbed the cheat options, these enhancements change elements of gameplay, aesthetics, or both, and are earned by completing certain tasks in the game. These were carried over to AVP Classic 2000 as well. I was surprised to see that there aren’t any guides on how to obtain these on the Steam forums, so I decided to make my own here (borrowing loosely and minimally from a few other sources). I also made a complete playthrough demonstrating how to obtain all the cheat modes, which you can find here.

Basic Criteria for Unlocking the Cheat Options:

Each species has a number of cheat modes it can unlock for either itself alone or for all species. If you play the levels on Realistic (medium) or Director’s Cut (hard) difficulty, you will have probably noticed a “target” for some stat at the final score. This is the objective you must complete. You will ONLY unlock it if you complete the task on Realistic or Director’s Cut difficulty—Training does not count. You may use as many saves as the game will allow you (four for Realistic, two for Director's Cut), but I believe you will not unlock a cheat mode while being in debug mode (the mode that allows you to activate actual cheats like invincibility) even if you complete the task. Remember that the requirement is to at least complete the task, however, you may surpass it. For instance, if you need 10 headbites in a particular level, you will still unlock the cheat mode if you get more than 10. Similarly, you will unlock a cheat mode if you beat the level under a time limit. Whether the target is an upper limit or lower limit is pretty intuitive.

The format of this guide will be as follows:
  • The first section will simply list the cheat modes and the requirements to unlock them. I've listed them chronologically in the order of the levels when going through the campaigns from Alien to Marine to Predator.
  • The second section (divided into two parts because of space issues) will briefly describe each cheat mode and the objective required for unlocking them, but more importantly they will include newly made strategies for how to unlock them, as well as my personal difficulty rating. I've also included my videos of unlocking all the cheat modes.

The difficulty rating I give each cheat mode assesses how difficult it is to unlock it, not the difficulty of actually playing the cheat mode. I factored in both the requirement(s) to get the cheat mode as well as my perceived difficulty of the level itself for these assessments.

List of Cheat Options and Requirements
1. Snipermunch: Beat the first alien level, Temple, with at least 10 live civilian headbites.

2. Nausea: Beat the second alien level, Escape, in under 2 minutes.

3. Pipecleaner: Beat the third alien level, Ferarco, with at least 15 dead civilian headbites.

4. MotionBlur: Beat the fourth alien level, Gateway, in under 4.5 minutes and with an average speed of 9 m/s or greater.

5. Mirror: Beat the fifth alien level, Earthbound, with at least one live predator headbite.

6. ImpossibleMission: Beat the second alien bonus mission, Derelict, with at least 20 live marine headbites.

7. JohnWooMode: Beat the first marine mission, Derelict, with at least 80% headshots.

8. Grenade: Beat the second marine mission, Colony, with at least 40% accuracy.

9. WarpSpeed: Beat the third marine mission, Invasion, in under 4 minutes.

10. LandOfTheGiants: Beat the fourth marine mission, Orbital, firing no more than 20 shots.

11. SlugTrail: Beat the fifth marine mission, Tyrargo, with at least 32 alien kills.

12. FreeFall: Beat the first marine bonus mission, Temple, with taking less than 100% damage.

13. UnderWater: Beat the second marine bonus mission, Vaults, with taking less than 60% damage.

14. Pigsticking: Beat the first predator mission, Waterfall, with at least 80% accuracy.

15. SuperGore: Beat the second predator mission, Area 52, with at least 25 marine trophies.

16. DiscoInferno: Beat the third predator mission, Vaults, with taking less than 100% damage.

17. BallsOfFire: Beat the fourth predator mission, Fury 161, with at least 40 alien kills.

18. RainbowBlood: Beat the fifth predator mission, Caverns, only being spotted 15 times or less.

19. TickerTape: Beat the first predator bonus mission, Invasion, with at least 15 alien trophies.

20. TripTastic: Beat the second predator bonus mission, Escape, with at least 10 civilian trophies.

21. Terror: No discovered trigger. See information below.

Tips for Unlocking Cheat Options
1. SniperMunch: The alien gains a long-distance jaw attack, so it can headbite from any distance so long as the head you’re lining up is in the middle of your screen. To unlock this, you must complete the first alien level, Temple, with 10 live civilian headbites. This one shouldn’t be too difficult as long as you know where all the civilians are. Remember to get the civilians in the egg chambers in Labs 1 and 2 (there should be two in each) as well as the ones below the devices you have to break. Just avoid their hand bombs (get them to throw the cocktails at you, but jump out of range) and take out any marines in the vicinity beforehand, and you shouldn’t have much of a problem with this one.
Difficulty: 1 out of 5.

2. Nausea: The entire screen moves about in a wavy pattern, making it very disorienting. To unlock this, you must beat the second alien level, Escape, in under 2 minutes. This should be very easy as long as you know exactly where you’re going. You will need to kill a few specific humans to open up various doors, but don't stop to kill anyone else. I've done this in under 50 seconds so it's definitely possible.
Difficulty: 0 out of 5.

3. Pipecleaner: All NPCs are shown as pipecleaners that still look like their character models. To get this cheat mode, you must beat the third alien level, Ferarco, with 15 dead civilian headbites. The requirement here is pretty easy; all the humans on Ferarco are civilians except for the one marine in the computer room at the end of the level. Just don’t go for live headbites unless you absolutely need them, and remember that both the tail and claws can decapitate a body, so you may need to go for as many as you can get from the start.
Difficulty: 1.5 out of 5

4. MotionBlur: Makes the screen all blurry; at least, I think it did. For some reason this cheat mode is broken in AVP Classic 2000; the only thing it seems to do now is make the auras that the alien sees spazz out. To get this one, you have to beat the fourth alien level, Gateway, in under 4.5 minutes AND have an average speed of 9 m/s or greater. Like with Escape, you have to know where to go but here you’ll be cutting it even closer. The fact that there are minigunners doesn’t help the situation. Remember that they generally appear in these locations: one at the beginning (on one side of the large room), two near the middle (where you have to destroy the fuse boxes) and one at the end (at one side of the final room). As long as you prepare for them, know exactly where you're going, and always keep moving to keep your average speed up, you should be good.
Difficulty: 2.5 out of 5.

5. Mirror: Mirrors your display of the level. You’re still playing the level from beginning to end but things are just flipped left and right (interestingly, the HUD is flipped too). To get this, you must get one live predator headbite in the fifth alien level, Earthbound. This should be a piece of cake. You get the headbite once you’ve dealt enough damage to the predator (one fully charged tail will do it) and he starts to activate his self-destruct device. Immediately get the headbite once he does this; take a second too long and you’re toast. But really, you should've gotten this headbite anyway.
Difficulty: 0 out of 5.

6. ImpossibleMission: Whatever level you play with this cheat mode on is set to Director’s Cut difficulty but on top of that, you take more damage. To get this mode, you must defeat the second alien bonus mission, Derelict, with 20 live marine headbites. This is an odd one; the cheat mode actually makes the game harder, which is always good for a challenge. The plus side is that as an alien, you get more health from each headbite, so I guess the damage/health rate has changed. Anyway, this one can be difficult to obtain. The marines in this level are armed with pulse rifles, pistols, flamethrowers, grenade launchers, and smartguns. Very often, they will panic when they see you; they could run away screaming, kill their comrades, run off a cliff, or fire a grenade right at your face. If you use saves, you could save after every five marine headbites or so. You can also force marines to respawn at various places, such as the computer room with the lift near the beginning of the level. Try to sneak up behind them but kill them by any means necessary if they ever put you at risk of dying if you have a significant number of headbites already. If you are struggling with how to deal with a large group of marines, kill a couple of them and retreat momentarily, then wait for the stragglers to get separated and grab the headbites individually.
Difficulty: 4 out of 5.

7. JohnWooMode: The game goes into slow-mo (sometimes super slow-mo) when you are close to NPCs. To get this cheat mode, you must defeat the first marine level, Derelict, with 80% headshots. This isn’t as bad as you might think. There aren’t many aliens in this level to begin with, so just make sure you get headshots on the first couple and then run past the rest.
Difficulty: 2 out of 5.

8. Grenade: Stocks your pulse rifle with 99 grenades but no bullets. You can restock your grenades but can’t pick up any other weapons. To achieve this, you have to beat the second marine level, Colony, with 40% accuracy. It’s actually more difficult to accomplish this than you might expect. First, stick to your pulse rifle and only use short controlled bursts. You need to make every shot count. At the pane of glass near the beginning of the level, fire a grenade. Don’t bother picking up the smartgun for two reasons. One, the tracking system is slow and will more likely COST you accuracy percentage rather than raise it. Two, even if you switch to free mode, the muzzle flare will most likely blind you from seeing where you’re shooting, and for this level you need to be very accurate. Near the end, you will have a chance to pick up the flamethrower and toast some facehuggers. I actually recommend not getting the flamethrower; rather, simply run through this room to pick up the health, armor, and security pass, and avoid killing the facehuggers altogether. The flamethrower will throw off your accuracy percentage and the facehuggers won’t harm you if you keep running. Lastly, pick your battles; on the final stretch to the APC you might be tempted to fight the last few aliens but more likely than not, it’s not worth it. You can outrun xenos if you hold forward and one of the strafe keys.
Difficulty: 3 out of 5.

9. WarpSpeed: This sets the game speed to roughly twice the normal speed. To get this achievement, you must beat the third marine level, Invasion, in under 4 minutes. This one really isn’t bad as long as you know where all the valves are, you stick to the smartgun (in this level it’s useful because of the tight corridors in which you’ll likely be facing xenos), and you pick up all the health and armor. It helps to strafe-run, too. Remember that it takes about 20 seconds for the dropship to pick you up at the end.
Difficulty: 1.5 out of 5.

10. LandOfTheGiants: Makes you tiny—or makes the level and all the enemies huge? Tomato, tomato. To get this, you must defeat the fourth marine level, Orbital, with 20 shots or less. Earning this one was incredibly fun for me. This is the shortest marine level (aside from Hangar) and I did this without firing off a single shot on Director’s Cut. But if you do need to fight, stick to either the pulse rifle grenades or the SADAR (in the first room behind the predator). Don’t use anything else, as you will go over the 20 shot limit in no time. Find the shortest route and strafe-run (hold forward and one of the strafe keys) past all enemies and you can do this without firing a single shot too.
Difficulty: Varies from 0 to 2.5 out of 5 (depending on luck and how good you are at avoiding combat).

11. SlugTrail: Causes all aliens to crawl on the floor because they have no legs. This goes for praetorians and predaliens as well (but not predators). To get this fun cheat, you must defeat the fifth marine level, Tyrargo, with 32 alien kills. Doing this on Realistic or Director’s Cut should basically guarantee you 32 alien kills. If you’re on Realistic, though, just remember to not skip a single kill and you should get the required number just by playing the level.
Difficulty: Realistic: 3.5 out of 5. Director's Cut: 4.5 out of 5.

12. FreeFall: The level slowly spins around, so what used to be the floor becomes the ceiling and vice versa. To get this, you have to beat the first marine bonus level, Temple, taking less than 100% health damage. This one can be a doozy to get. Stick to the smartgun and pulse rifle and use the jetpack to avoid damage. Remember that you can’t fire the minigun while using the jetpack. Only go to the places you absolutely need to go to beat the level, so avoid the labs and facehugger shrine. Pick up armor but you don't need health kits. Float up the winding tunnel that leads directly out of the hive. There are two praetorians in the north wing and two in the uppermost section (one tends to fall down the shaft while you float up). Otherwise, just keep hovering and killing from long-distance.
Difficulty: 4 out of 5.

13. UnderWater: This mode gives the level a blue hue, slows the game speed down, and allows you to jump higher, making it seem as though you're under water. To get this one, you have to beat the second marine bonus mission, Vaults, with taking less than 60% damage. You get a minigun near the beginning of the level (follow the predator blood to the right at the first opportunity) so use that against the predator. After killing it and destroying the generators, pick up the smartgun in the second generator room and use that on everything else until you get to the commander. Be very cautious around the last six lab rooms because aliens love to spring out from the ceilings and the acid can do major damage to you if you don't react quickly enough. When you reach the commander, you need to quickly kill three aliens in side rooms before they kill him, and I recommend either using the pulse rifle or the smartgun's free mode here. Maintaining high health shouldn't be too big of a problem in this level. Side note: if the room with the lift and facehugger is giving you trouble, you can run past the lift and stay on the upper level briefly to take out some of the enemies before descending.
Difficulty: 3 out of 5.

14. Pigsticking: This cheat gives the predator’s speargun unlimited ammo and a spread fire shot (16 spears I believe). To earn this mode, you must defeat the first predator level, Waterfall, with 80% accuracy. As with the first marine level, simply get a couple perfectly accurate kills, then either avoid the other encounters by cloaking and running past them or just use the wristblade (which doesn’t count accuracy).

15. SuperGore: Enemies spray more blood. To get this cheat mode, you have to beat the second predator level, Area 52, with 25 marine trophies. A trophy is where the predator collects the head of his victim by lining it up with the wristblade, charging up the wristblade with the secondary fire button, and releasing. You’ll hear the predator roar if you were successful. There are two ways to go about getting this cheat mode; the first is to go through the level and get all the trophies you can. The second is to force them to respawn in an area (I like the place right below the bridge that you have to lower because they tend to respawn quickly). The downside with the second method is that it can take quite a while, but you can be sure that you’ll never run out of marines. If you take the first method, remember that there’s a barracks in the section after you make the long jump; just avoid the turret and you should find some marines there.
Difficulty: 1.5 out of 5.

16. DiscoInferno: This mode makes the level multicolored as if there were a disco ball constantly above you. To get this cheat option, you have to beat the third predator level, Vaults, with taking less than 100% damage. Now, originally I stated that while this level is easy on Realistic, it's balls-to-the-wall hard on Director's Cut. HOWEVER, upon recently replaying it I discovered a very easy way to accomplish it on Director's Cut. After the section with the marines (use your cloaking device and speargun or wristblade), simply run past all the aliens. If you strafe-run and you know where to go, you can dodge most of them; then either keep the pistol or wristblade out for the occasional xeno in your way. You'll take relatively little damage this way. Remember that you don't have to heal once when trying to get this cheat mode.
Difficulty: Realistic: 2.5 out of 5. Director’s Cut: 4 out of 5.

17. BallsOfFire: Enemies are shown as blobs of fire (they’re not regular enemies who spawn on fire). To achieve this, you have to beat the fourth predator level, Fury 161, with 40 alien kills. Praetorians will not count towards your kill count, only the drone kind of alien will do. This is pretty easy to unlock as you’ll likely kill close to 40 aliens on either difficulty anyway. Just make sure to explore every nook and cranny, and you may want to backtrack to previous areas for respawned aliens to make sure you get the 40 kills.

18. RainbowBlood: Makes blood multicolored. To get this cheat mode, you must defeat the predator level, Caverns, only being spotted 15 times or less. Obviously use your cloaking device, snipe people from afar, and kill from behind with the wristblade or shoulder cannon. Only the marines and xenoborgs can technically spot you so you don’t have to worry once you get into xenomorph territory (no marines show up there). The difficulty in obtaining this cheat, however, does depend on the level you set it at; it’s noticeably harder on Director’s Cut difficulty because there are many more marines than on Realistic.
Difficulty: Realistic: 2.5 out of 5. Director’s Cut: 3.5 out of 5.

19. TickerTape: All aliens have a trail following them that looks like the trail of the predator’s disc. To get this, you must defeat the first predator bonus level, Invasion, with 15 alien trophies. This can be very difficult to achieve unless you remember that pistol shots at the floor and pinning xenomorphs to the wall will keep xenomorph bodies intact. On top of that, pinning xenos to the wall with the speargun will keep their bodies intact for much longer than if you killed them any other way. Have that be your primary killing tool, then switch to the wristblade to claim the trophy. Do NOT use the shoulder cannon to kill them, and I also wouldn’t recommend using the wristblade as a means of killing them either. The trick will be in getting the trophies while being attacked by other aliens . One source[www.gamefaqs.com] says that there are only 17 xenomorphs in the entire level, but from my understanding that’s not the case; I believe the aliens keep respawning indefinitely.
Difficulty: 4.5 out of 5.

20. TripTastic: This cheat causes the screen to be multi-colored and slowly shake. However, as with MotionBlur this cheat is broken in AVP Classic 2000. To get this, you must beat the predator bonus level, Escape, with 10 civilian trophies. This is an easy one. “Save” the civilians from the aliens by killing them first with the pistol or speargun. Then grab their heads. It’s a shame that this cheat is broken because it looked really cool in AVP Gold Edition.

The Hidden Cheat Option: Terror

I have confirmed Terror to be a hidden cheat option. Download the completed profile with Terror unlocked here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliens-versus-predator-classic-redux/downloads/complet...

Rumor had it that a twenty-first cheat option existed in the game files. However, it was not known if this rumor was real or fake...until now! There IS, in fact, a hidden twenty-first cheat option called Terror. The first instance of this I found through a comment on a walkthrough[www.gamefaqs.com] by Death Mage on gamefaqs, which I quote below:

"Terror: Only available for the Alien and Predator. It makes the humans all act in panic, shooting at random and often running away. Works against Androids also. Thanks [to] Lo Wang for the information, however he used a hex editor to unlock the cheat, so we still do not know what triggers it."

I was very suspicious of the presence of this cheat option, especially since there is no target value for anything other than the twenty cheat options above. However, MadMaxRW uploaded a completed profile with this cheat option unlocked. It may have been only present in the game's files, and thus unlocked with a hex editor, but it definitely exists and can be played.

Terror does indeed cause all humans and androids to be in a panic state. Marines will shoot randomly and civilians will cower in fear. Androids will simply run around without firing at you.

Now the question as to the trigger; if I were to venture a guess, I would say the requirement would have probably been on the alien bonus level Invasion because there's a cheat mode obtainable on the second bonus mission (Derelict) but not on the first (Invasion).

FAQ
Q: You hacking *******, why the hell are you promoting cheating?!
A: Read the Introduction. These "cheat modes" are bonus options that allow for harmless fun playing through the SINGLE-PLAYER with some of the game's aspects modified. Oh yeah, they were also put in by Rebellion Developments, the GAME'S DEVELOPERS. They were intended for players to get. Think of them as early versions of achievements, only harder to get and more fun to use and not completely worthless trophies of garbage that developers add to boost the egos of bad players or that sad individuals waste all their time trying to unlock to brag to their friends about how "skilled" they are in some terrible, slow, easy-as-balls, generic, linear, corridor shooter. I do not promote hacking or cheating in multiplayer at all, and I've been very adamant about getting hackers banned from this game and keeping legitimate players informed as to this game's hackers.

Q: Will getting any of these mess my game up?
A: You will never have to worry about whether the levels will play or not, and you can always play the levels normally once you get them. That being said, MotionBlur and TripTastic are broken cheat modes that may make your text unreadable until you restart the game. By broken, I mean they used to work in AVP99 and GE, but they don't look the same way in Classic 2000; they're finnicky and mess the menu options up until you restart the game. If you're interested in seeing what they look like, I recommend you simply try them out once but restart afterwards. The only other glitch related to the cheat modes I've ever encountered is, if you have a second profile, for some reason trying to select FreeFall in the cheat options section of the second profile will freeze the game up. I have no idea how or why this happens. Otherwise, the cheat modes were a planned part of the game, intended for the player to get, and, at least in the 1999 and 2000 releases of this game, always kept the game working properly.

Q: I'm trying to get _____ cheat mode but when I beat the level, it crashes to Steam or Windows and when I start the game back up, I didn't get the cheat mode. How can I obtain it?
A: This sometimes happens. At the end screen, press Escape to restart the level, then exit normally to the game's main menu (Escape, Abort Mission). This should keep the cheat mode unlocked. If you have the Redux mod and this is happening to you, click here to find out how to stop the Redux mod from random crashing at the end of certain levels.

Q: _____ cheat mode doesn't look right. Any idea why?
A: MotionBlur and TripTastic didn't transfer over correctly when AVP Classic 2000 was made. If any other cheat mode doesn't look right to you, it's unusual and I probably won't have a solution for you other than not to use it. I also can't answer any questions specific to the Redux mod.

Q: Can I use the cheat options in multiplayer?
A: No.

Q: Can I save while playing the cheat modes?
A:: No.

Q: Can I play the cheat modes on custom single-player levels?
A: Yes, because the cheat modes apply to the gameplay elements, not the specific levels themselves.

Q: There's no option to change the difficulty for the cheat modes. What difficulty are they on?
A: All the cheat modes are on Realistic difficulty except for ImpossibleMission, which is on Director's Cut, plus you take more damage.

Q: What's the hardest cheat mode to get?
A: Depends on what species is your worst. ImpossibleMission is the hardest imo for the alien; FreeFall is the hardest imo for the marine; Tickertape is the hardest imo for the predator.

Q: What's the hardest cheat mode to play on?
A: The three hardest are ImpossibleMission, WarpSpeed, and FreeFall. ImpossibleMission is probably the easiest of the three. WarpSpeed is completely insane on later marine levels and FreeFall for the marine, at least the little I played of it, is basically a death sentence.

Credits
This guide was written solely by me (Olde). You can (and should!) use this guide and share it with others. However, you should not distribute it while giving authorial credit to either yourself, someone else, or to nobody at all. You may quote from it at length but please do not post the entirety as a guide on any other forum or site without my express permission.

I hope you enjoyed this guide! I value your input so please leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2015 at 8:21am by Olde »  

Quote:
I insult you because of the asshole and scum that you prove us all to be.  - En Sabah Nur on TBBC Forums

Lucifer wrote on Oct 8th, 2016 at 9:54am:
go to fuck your self olde!

IP Logged

KingKenny
Global Moderator

Hail to the king, baby!

Re: [GUIDE] How to Unlock the SP Cheat Options
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2015 at 11:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is there a cheat code that unlocks all the cheats?  Smiley

IP Logged

Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Re: [GUIDE] How to Unlock the SP Cheat Options
Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2015 at 2:29am
Print Post Print Post  
KingKenny wrote on Oct 26th, 2015 at 11:44pm:
Is there a cheat code that unlocks all the cheats?  Smiley

Pretty much. You download this completed profile and place it in this folder: (YourDrive:/Users/YourName/AppData/local/Rebellion/AvP Classic/User_Profiles

Then when you start the game up, choose the Mad Max RW user profile, which has all the levels and cheat modes already unlocked.

Quote:
I insult you because of the asshole and scum that you prove us all to be.  - En Sabah Nur on TBBC Forums

Lucifer wrote on Oct 8th, 2016 at 9:54am:
go to fuck your self olde!

IP Logged