Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) AvP Update Project (Read 19428 times)
Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

AvP Update Project
Oct 28th, 2015 at 8:40am
Print Post Print Post  
As you all know, the uMod is on hold. However, what you probably don't know is that the mod was part of a larger project aimed at fixing issues with the game that spanned more than coding issues. I made a number of small bug fixes and general improvements to the game that didn't require programming work. Some were merely aesthetic, others had to do with cheap aspects of maps. These were changes that anyone could have made, given the right tools. However, I aimed at fixing things that people previously considered broken, cheap, or generally unfun and unnecessary. The uMod is of course the largest piece this update project which is intended to improve the game by fixing details, big and small, that have plagued the game since its release.

I will be providing links in due time. Please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions for improvements that do not require coding/programming. Obviously these changes, much like uMod, require testing.

Changes Already Made:

Gameplay Changes:
uMod

Public Announcement, Scoreboard Tweak, Species Say Indicator, Enhanced Coop, Item Tripping Fix, Console Commands (HELP, ABOUT, UMOD, PLAYERS, NPC_DMG, SPECTATOR), Species Changer, Bot Loader, Marine Health Increase, Reload HotKey, No Weapon Jamming, Pulse Rifle Damage Increase, Smartgun Faster Tracking, Smartgun Damage Increase, Flamethrower Damage Increase, Proxy Mine Removal, Minigun Ammo Decrease, Pistol Damage Increase, Predator Health Decrease, Reverse Cycle Vision Mode, Wristblade Improvement, Predator Pistol Rebalance, Disc Tracking Removed, SDK Support, SDK Scripts, SDK Script Hotkey.

Visual Changes:
Predator Crosshair Correction: The crosshair is completely red instead of partially.
Predator Numerals Correction: Got rid of the horrible "ghost" effect from the predator numerals.
Flamethrower Symbol Fixed: The red dot has been removed.
Normal Alien Navigation Mode (Redux Mod-Only): Brightens the previously dimmed alien navigation mode for Redux users.
Special Characters Added: Weapon symbols now replace infrequently used symbols.
Image Intensifier Grain Restoration (Redux mod only): Grain restored to the marine's Image Intensifier in the Redux mod for balancing purposes, as removing it gave the marine an edge in combat.
New Level Icons: Optional aesthetic change

Aural Changes:
Predator Clicking Removed: The predator's annoying clicking sound that he'd make every two seconds is gone.
Fossil (custom): Replaced the previously annoying ambient sounds with much more tolerable ones.

Level Changes:
Sewer: Added minigun to the top section next to the field charge orb and pistol.

Jockey: Lowered field charge orbs from eleven to four. Moved one field charge unit.

Hive: The alien's spawn point on the upper ledge is moved back. A third alien spawn point is added in the hive section next to the pulse rifle. Added SADAR to the hive section.

Hadley's Hope: Added SADAR near a room with the acid hole.

Leadworks: Added three completely new spawn points for alien and predator. Added two completely new spawn points for marine and one shared one with predator. Added medkit to a space between the room with the flamethrower and grenade launcher. Added armour to a space across from field charge orb. Added SADAR to the furnace room. Moved all pistols but none have been removed.

Meat Factory: Added SADAR to the room with the forklift and field charge. Turned around one marine spawn point that previously faced a wall.

Subway: Made various window panels untargetable. Added flamethrower underneath the subway train. The flamethrower can now be picked up off a dead body because it previously couldn't.

Nostromo: Added two smartguns, one in the large room next to a Nostromo "leg," and one near the grenade launcher.

Office: The map's indestructible objects no longer cause the alien's tail to target them.

Stranded: Added SADAR to the bunker.

Conflict: Added one marine spawn point, two predator spawn points, and one alien spawn point so now each species has four.

Ethereal: Added pulse grenades to the lower section.

Future Changes

Subway: I would ideally like to be able to change the architecture on the Eastern building so the alien can actually climb up it without falling down, but I feel that will require hard map editing in 3DS Max which I'm not ready for yet.

Various official custom maps: Patch up instant death pits.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2015 at 7:10am by Olde »  

Quote:
I insult you because of the asshole and scum that you prove us all to be.  - En Sabah Nur on TBBC Forums

Lucifer wrote on Oct 8th, 2016 at 9:54am:
go to fuck your self olde!

IP Logged

thecanonmaster
Unblooded

g_pLTClient

Re: AvP Update Project
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 10:31am
Print Post Print Post  
Great news, great work!

I am not very familiar with AVP99, so the following questions may sound stupid  Smiley

1) Is it possible to make character movements more realistic? I mean when you move it feels like you are on the rails.
2) Any thoughts of sort-of-dedicated server for AVP99 ? Is it possible?

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 3:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Great stuff Olde!

thecanonmaster wrote on Oct 28th, 2015 at 10:31am:
I am not very familiar with AVP99

Try it man! it's on steam very cheap!

Any thoughts of sort-of-dedicated server for AVP99 ? Is it possible?

I sure hope this can be made... i would host loads of avp99 servers !

With the source code released, i think it is possible ?

IP Logged

Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 7:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
1) Is it possible to make character movements more realistic? I mean when you move it feels like you are on the rails.

The movement doesn't have to be changed in the least. It's the most fluid game in terms of movement ever made.
2) Any thoughts of sort-of-dedicated server for AVP99 ? Is it possible?

There is no need for a dedicated server. The game runs P2P. The whole point of this is so that people can choose what map they want and what parameters they want (such as which weapons are prohibited, what the game speed is, how quickly items respawn, etc.). A dedicated server is possible but wholly unnecessary, and I'll tell you why.

1.) It would require running on a computer that is on and playing AVP all the time.
2.) That computer would be using up a player slot, lowering the previous player limit from 8 to 7.
3.) The host would have to have a great connection all the time.
4.) It would only serve to cause confusion because people would think there was a player in there but there wouldn't be, since it would say "DED SERVER (1/8)"
5.) It would not be viewable in a server list because the game has no server list.
6.) It would be unable to change maps unless someone restarted the server every 24 hours or something.
7.) People would make their own servers for coop and other game types anyway.

Having a dedicated server simply would not increase the number of players.

Quote:
I insult you because of the asshole and scum that you prove us all to be.  - En Sabah Nur on TBBC Forums

IP Logged

Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 9:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
I need to ask for help from someone. I want to turn this into an .exe so people can just run it and have it patch their game.

Can anybody tell me how to do this?

Quote:

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 9:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Olde wrote on Oct 28th, 2015 at 9:16pm:
I need to ask for help from someone. I want to turn this into an .exe so people can just run it and have it patch their game.

Can anybody tell me how to do this?

Let me know how that 'program' works out for you.

Wink

IP Logged

Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 12:17am
Print Post Print Post  
You're a saint, x-M-x! It works great, huge kudos man!

Quote:

IP Logged

thecanonmaster
Unblooded

g_pLTClient

Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 6:46am
Print Post Print Post  
Olde wrote on Oct 28th, 2015 at 7:00pm:
It's the most fluid game in terms of movement ever made.

Totaly disagree  Grin

Olde wrote on Oct 28th, 2015 at 7:00pm:
Having a dedicated server simply would not increase the number of players.

1) I meant that with available source code, myabe it is possible to create fully functional near-dedicated server, I dunno  Roll Eyes
2) Yeah, that is bad
3) The host would have to have a great connection all the time.
4) Just NumberOfPlayers minus 1, so 0/7  Grin
5) It could be a third party master server, like TBBC's or HerrAlien's
6) Source code
7) Right

I am just dreaming  Cool

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 7:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
thecanonmaster wrote on Oct 29th, 2015 at 6:46am:
I meant that with available source code, myabe it is possible to create fully functional near-dedicated server, I dunno

Possible yes with the source, why not have a go at it Canon?  Grin Tongue

IP Logged

Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 11:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
I talked to x-M-x and he clarified what you meant. There is no way to host a dedicated server for AVP Classic 2000 through an external program, you would have to run it through the game itself. The source code is only applicable to Gold Edition. Although my guide does tell people how to get it working, most players have with given up Gold Edition or have moved on to Classic 2000. Hence, the Gold Edition source code would do nothing in the way of getting a server up and running for the only version of AVP1 that people play.

You guys are thinking with AvP2 logic and assume that a dedicated server would mean anything to AvP1. It wouldn't. I have better luck getting players to join me if I make my own locally hosted server because on the Steam interface, it says "Olde is now playing Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000." Other players can click "Join Game" and instantly join my multiplayer server. There's no use in having a dedicated server, trust me. The only advantage it might give is if it's absolutely phenomenal at getting low ping.

That being said, Classic 2000 is in dire need of a server list. There were server lists for the game in MPlayer and GSA, but not Steam. The people at MPlayer told me that they want to get AVP Classic 2000 available on their client, however, I have a suspicion that their client will only be a communication hub and not a client for the game itself. If my suspicion is correct, they too will not be able to show the servers that are up.

Quote:

IP Logged

thecanonmaster
Unblooded

g_pLTClient

Reply #10 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 4:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
That's why I said that I am not familiar with AVP99  Wink

Just didn't know that there are differences between AVP Gold and AVP Classic 2000.

IP Logged

Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #11 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 5:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
thecanonmaster wrote on Oct 30th, 2015 at 4:22pm:
That's why I said that I am not familiar with AVP99  Wink

Just didn't know that there are differences between AVP Gold and AVP Classic 2000.

Interesting. I could make a video describing the differences.

Quote:

IP Logged

Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #12 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 7:39am
Print Post Print Post  
Released version 0.0.2 in .exe format. Comes with a restore .exe.

Link: http://avpunknown.com/avpclassic/files/mods/avpupdate002.zip

List of changes:

Visual Changes
Predator Crosshair Correction: The crosshair is now entirely red instead of red with some transparent specks.
Flame Symbol Fixed: The red dot on the left side of the symbol has been removed.

Aural Changes
Predator Clicking Removed
Alien Footsteps Removed

Level Changes
Deathmatch Maps

Sewer: Added minigun to the top section next to the field charge orb and pistol.

Jockey: Lowered field charge orbs from eleven to three. One minigun removed.

Hive: The alien's spawn point on the upper ledge is moved back. A third alien spawn point is added in the hive section next to the pulse rifle. Added SADAR to the hive section.

Hadley's Hope: Added SADAR near the room with the acid hole.

Leadworks: Added three completely new spawn points for alien and predator. Added one completely new spawn point for marine but now it will also share two with the predator. Now each species can spawn in one of five places. Added medkit to a space between the room with the flamethrower and grenade launcher. Added armour to a space across from field charge orb. Added SADAR to the furnace room. Moved all pistols but none have been removed.

Meat Factory: Added SADAR to the room with the forklift and field charge. Turned around one marine spawn point that previously faced a wall.

Subway: Made various window panels untargetable. Added a flamethrower to the crawlspace across from the healthkit underneath the train. Fixed a texture oversight in the background.

Nostromo: Added two smartguns, one in the large room on the ground somewhat near the orb and the other in the room with the medkit and armour (where the minigun overlooks).

Office: The map's indestructible objects no longer cause the alien's tail to target them.

Coop Maps

Stranded: Added speargun ammo and a SADAR to the bunker.

Custom Maps

Conflict: Fixed one broken marine spawn point, added one marine spawn point, added two predator spawn points, and added one alien spawn point. Now each species has four.

Ethereal: Added pulse grenades to the lower section.

New Custom Maps
ConflictXL: Environment size increased by 50%. All changes to Conflict are carried over.

Subway Day: Subway map in daylight. All changes to Subway are carried over.
« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2015 at 7:42am by Olde »  

Quote:

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #13 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 11:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Merry Christmas!

And cheers! the exe's help a lot man! Happy to see you're using that program i sent ya  Smiley

IP Logged

Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #14 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 6:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Absolutely, thanks. Hit me up if you can tell me how to change the .exe icon, I can't figure it out. >_<

Quote:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print