Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Normal Topic New Custom Map: Fear Factory (Read 11313 times)
Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

New Custom Map: Fear Factory
Feb 16th, 2016 at 4:44am
Print Post Print Post  
So this was something that I've been wanting to do for a long time, which was to reskin the multiplayer map Meat Factory. This map has always looked hideous to me, with ugly, blocky, basic textures and a nonsensical and overly brightly color scheme. So I decided to give it a bit of an update. This is based on the Redux mod version of the maps (both dm and coop) to support the high-resolution textures. The textures come from Phaeton's amazing L4D2 custom map, Dark Wood. As of the most recent update, this should not conflict with any maps. You do not need the Redux mod to add this to your game. However, note that it only works with AvP Classic and not Gold Edition or AvP99.

The link comes with both the DM version of the map called FearFactory, as well as the Coop version called FearFactory(c). Note that in the coop version, the back of the truck is open instead of closed.

LINK: http://avpunknown.com/avpclassic/files/maps/fearfactory.zip

To Install: Copy the folders to your root AVP Classic folder. Read the readme for more specifics.

Comparison Shots:

All New:

Let me know any feedback you have (bugs, errors, confusion, etc.). Many thanks to Mad Max for the high-res update to the maps, MandatoryAlcatraz for showing me how to extract textures from .vpk's, and for everyone else who helped out!
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2021 at 3:05am by Olde »  

Quote:
I insult you because of the asshole and scum that you prove us all to be.  - En Sabah Nur on TBBC Forums

Lucifer wrote on Oct 8th, 2016 at 9:54am:
go to fuck your self olde!

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Re: New Custom Map: Fear Factory
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 5:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Looks Awesome, got a 'silent hill' vibe to it!

Will be testing this!

cheers olde.

IP Logged

Bakuub
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2016 at 2:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
ya definitely a horror movie feel to it, well done. i basically only remember the map in bright green as pred. never really used marine on it. great p v p map

IP Logged

Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 5:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yeah, it's a classic PvP map. Though the minigunner does quite well in it against aliens and other types of marines, and overall noobish preds.

We should do an LMS of the map with as many marines as minigunners as possible. It basically starts to function as Quarantine (AvP2 map) with marines camping in a spot that's nearly impossible to kill them before they shred the alien(s). Lol.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2016 at 5:49pm by Olde »  

Quote:
I insult you because of the asshole and scum that you prove us all to be.  - En Sabah Nur on TBBC Forums

IP Logged

Bakuub
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 2:21am
Print Post Print Post  
ya minigunners could utilize the level well, there are a few long hall ways that minigunners could stand in and blast a way. i cant seem to make the jump from the stairwell backwards into the window anymore. the window on top of the truck. it used to be a great quick exit (as pred). i think the last time i played some noob told me to stop using the jetpack. hah. it reminded me of hive(i think thats what it was called) but more open so preds could do well in it. but not at all a map for bugs.

IP Logged

Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 5:40am
Print Post Print Post  
Minigunners can use most of the space to their advantage, particularly the catwalk in the main room, the office hallway, the truck tunnel, the ground floor of the main room, and to a lesser extent the room on the lower level with the two healthkits, as well as the room with the staircase and the orb leading away from the truck. The worst place for the minigunner is that extremely dark room with the flashing blue light.

digital-ASMODEUS showed me that jump-from-the-catwalk-into-the-window trick. It takes a lot of practice to be able to pull off but it makes preds really hard to hit if they do it right. You have to strafe-run into it, have a running start, and jump at the absolute last second. As with Hive, Meat Factory is a dismal map for bugs; the rooms don't give them enough space to move around and they're constantly get funneled through tight spaces to move from one area to another. Plus, the only spawn points for them are up in the vents so they always have to drop down (just like in Hadley's Hope and Leadworks). Preds have too much of an advantage I'd say, since there are three orbs. If I could instigate any changes, I'd probably remove the orb on top of the truck, since it's the easiest to get and it's in a prime location. PvPs in pred-favoured maps are a complete pain in the ass for me because they never fucking end. I think I did a PvP in that map a while back and after 15 minutes the score was only 300-150 (essentially 2-1).

Quote:

IP Logged

Bakuub
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 1:43am
Print Post Print Post  
do you ever just do Medicomp After Kill in p v p?  i had a lot of people that wanted to play that way instead. idk why. i sorta like the chase....as for the jump...i used to jump up the stairs to a certain step then jump back into the window. it was easier then the other way, i found i was a lot more consistent double jumping. im curious if this glitch found its way into this game....nvidia geforce graphics cards...at least the series i had at the time in reg and gold....if you were against thin walls that had rooms on the other side, for instance the truck wall into the room. if u zoomed twice you could see through the wall. i found a few other people that could do it, the only common thing was the geforce. i dont have a geforce now, so i cant test it. it sure as hell doesnt work on my intel chipset.

IP Logged

Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 3:32am
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, I've played with MAK rules before. It was something that Taco778 showed me.

As for the seeing through walls glitch, I've never heard of that before. The only thin walls glitch I know of is that aliens can clip through certain walls if they crouch-jump directly at them, if the walls are thin enough, and if there's a room on the other side. A funny side effect of this is that it not only allows you to skip to certain places in the map, but you can actually access otherwise inaccessible areas. One such example is the empty room in Meat Factory.

Quote:

IP Logged

Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #8 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:01am
Print Post Print Post  
I've just now updated Fear Factory, both the deathmatch and coop versions, with improved texturing and better file management. The texturing on small props, such as the hanging lamp posts, the edges of doors, and the sides of the staircases, is now changed to look more consistent with the rest of the environment. This map also now uses its own folder instead of sharing it with a couple of others.

The download link in my original post is updated with the latest version, and the screenshots are retaken. It can also be found in the latest release of the Universal Map Pack, which I have also just updated.

Quote:

IP Logged