Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) yep another Client MFC app has stopped working (Read 15990 times)
deadXeno
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

yep another Client MFC app has stopped working
Nov 21st, 2014 at 3:55am
Print Post Print Post  
Hey guys, first I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has been putting in the time and effort to revitalize this classic game and keeping it alive. I just recently got my hands on a copy of AvP2 and followed all of the instructions via your webpage to install the game properly along with all patches, updates, and the latest master server patch (2.0). Unfortunately I too have fallen victim to the MFC error. Since install I have yet to be able to get past attempting to load the game. I click on Play and it immediately gives me the MFC app error. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times, along with running as admin and disabling firewall but to no avail each time I receive the same error.

I have an Alienware M17xR3 laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit with an Nvidia  GeForce GTX 460M vid card and my laptop has all the latest windows updates and drivers. I use basic Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials so I don't see how the firewall could be an issue as attempting the install with the firewall on or off has had no effect. I'm not quite sure what else to do. Hopefully you guys can help me out  Cheesy

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Re: yep another Client MFC app has stopped working
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 9:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Christ! another MFC issue... lol

Right anyway, there can be various ways... to solve this (check the forums)

but have you tried at least a uninstall/re-install method? then CHOOSE XP Compatibility mode?

oh and welcome!

IP Logged

deadXeno
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 9:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hey x-M-x I have tried tried to uninstall reinstall twice. Say I uninstall and reinstall again according to the procedure. In order to run the game in compatibility mode would I need to go through each file in the avp2 folder and select compatibility mode or do I need to only run compatibility mode for the avp2.exe ? Sorry if I don't make absolute sense. I like to consider myself tech savvy but I'm not as well versed with computing skills as you guys are here at avp unknown

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 9:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Start avp2.exe in XP or Vista mode.

see what results you get, also check your drivers.

Your on windows 7 SP1 you really shouldn't have a problem with avp2.

IP Logged

deadXeno
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 10:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
OMG it worked, looks like it works with Compatibility mode set to Vista SP1 and run as administrator enabled. I had to go down the list and luckily Vista worked. None of the XP settings work. It looks so much better than I remember. Thanks x-M-x you have no idea how excited I am. I used to play this game non-stop back in the day. Hopefully I don't run into any more quirks from here on out but Ill be sure to let you know if I do.

Are there any other mods or map packs I will need? As of right now I have just the updates and patches installed as per the instructions on your webpage. I don't want to run into any kicks due to server hosting maps that have now become the norm that I don't have.

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 11:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Get UMP

http://89.167.22.131/avp/

At the bottom

Download them all.

Want some custom skins or soundpacks? Visits my friends site.

http://avpunknown.com/kingskins/

Want some classic stuff? Visit AvP Nation

http://www.avpnation.com/
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2014 at 11:44pm by x-M-x »  
IP Logged

deadXeno
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 2:31am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks again x-M-x, one last thing. I know its not probably morally sound to ask but do you know of a safe site to acquire the No CD patch. I used to have it ages ago but of course that was ages ago. If not no biggie. I really appreciate all of your help. If it wasn't for this community I wouldn't be able to play my favorite classic of all time

IP Logged

deadXeno
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 3:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry I didn't realize that the No CD patch is located on the avpnation link you posted. I'll try that when I get chance

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 5:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Don't worry about asking for that... lol yea i put it on avpnation (need to add it to avpunknown i keep forgetting lol)

Enjoy!

IP Logged

deadXeno
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 11:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Unfortunately that link is no longer active. I tried to google the patch and ended up downloading a piece of malware that attempted to install a laundry list of programs but I was able to stop it and uninstall everything. Do you know of a safe download that is still available. I'm hoping I didn't pick up any viruses as a result of my poor choice

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 12:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Try again on AvP Nation.

it should be fixed now.

IP Logged

deadXeno
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 2:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
cool I got the download. two questions though.. Do I still need to drag and drop it into my avp2 folder to replace my initial avp2.exe file? and I still constantly get the MFC error. I just have to constantly switch between compatibility settings until one works. Vista SP1 appears to have stopped working and than only Win 98* deadXeno would work and than intermittently neither will work. It doesn't make sense but after a number of attempts it eventually goes through

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 3:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Put that .exe in your avp2 directory, then create a shortcut to your desktop.

Should work no problems.

IP Logged