Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Normal Topic AVP2. End of the Road? (Read 8847 times)
AverageBoss
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

AVP2. End of the Road?
Dec 9th, 2014 at 8:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have been a fan of this game for years. The Savoir mod and Master Server mod have helped to this.

However, on my new computer, nothing seems to work properly. I can run the game (mostly), and I can get online. But after 3 days of messing with files, installing, uninstalling, and reinstalling, I still have 3 major issues that I cannot fix.

1. MFC Application crash.
This occurs at random (about 90% of the time) whenever I try to boot up a single player level. This appears to only be a problem from the main menu. Once I am in, the game seems to have no problem loading from level to level.

2. Alternate Vision mode glitch.
The aliens alternate (and predators negative) vision mode simply turns my screen completely black. It goes right back to normal if I continue to cycle vision modes.

3. Horrendous graphical tearing.
This occurs both when moving and looking around.

As I said, I have years of experience with this game and its mods. I have installed all the correct files and updates, made sure my drivers are up to date, and made exceptions in my AV and FW.

In the hopes that someone might be able to help, here is my new PC:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HC3YXSI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF...

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Re: AVP2. End of the Road?
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2014 at 10:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Greetings & Salutations!

End of the road? no man NEVER!

Down to business, your specs on that link is this correct ?

- Microsoft Windows 8.1
- Intel Core i3-4330T (Haswell) 2.9 GHz
- 4 GB RAM
- 1024 GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
- 23-Inch Screen, Intel HD Graphics 4400

Right well, you must take into consideration that Aliens vs, Predator 2 is 13 years old now... And there have been many reports of problems on Windows 8.1... i'll try and give you some tips/info

Update your GPU Drivers (try and see if it helps)
Downgrade your GPU Drivers (try and see if that helps)
Did you download AVP2? MFC issues can be multiple things.... or missing files etc
Try and fresh INSTSALL again and install the updates in the correct order.
What resolution are you playing at?

Try and mess around with your GPU settings first.
What is the graphic tearing issue you speak off? screenshot? and keep in mind The Savoir mod and Master Server mod are the same thing.... in the very beginging it was known as a 'savoir' now it's master server patch not mod, many people always get confused with the two names.

As for 'Alternate Vision mode glitch.' search around on this forum, several people have it and i believe one solved it.... but remember this is down to your GPU settings.. do you have ANY CUSTOM SETTING AT ALL? in BIOS or on desktop ?

Let me know fella!

x-M-x

IP Logged

AverageBoss
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 5:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
*My GPU Driver only has two versions, neither fix these issues.

*It is a download of AVP2, however it is the same exact download I used on my two previous rigs. I have just transferred it between the three computers over the years.

*I have tried the fresh install + updates (in order) 6 times.

*I have tried every resolution. I did find out the the 16 options create additional problems not found with the 32 options.

*Intel integrated graphics are pretty much hard locked and not much can be messed with from what I have seen.

*Never had the MFC error on my old rigs with the same file.

*The tearing is very hard to capture as it pops in and out very quickly. It seems to be caused by light sources though.

*The vision glitch was solved here by updating the users GPU driver.

*And I realize that AVP2 is 13 years old where as my computer is barely 6 months. I figured my computer was simply too new, hence the "end of the road" line.

Thanks btw.

IP Logged

KingKenny
Global Moderator

Hail to the king, baby!

Reply #3 - Dec 25th, 2014 at 5:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
I don't know how to help you with the MFC Client Crash. Try checking permissions/firewall though. Other than that I don't know.

I experience the same problems you have with black vision modes and graphical tearing. I tried everything I could think of to fix both and nothing works. It's an incompatibility issue with my newer video card. The graphical tearing sucks, but it's not game breaking so I have learned to live with it. However, there is a somewhat fix for the vision modes.

The fix only works for singleplayer. Basically you edit the attributes for the alien and predator vision modes so that they just turn clear/normal looking (not glowing blue, red, etc) instead of going black. The problem with this of course is that you can't join multiplayer servers with it. I was planning on releasing this little patch I made to fix this but I've been waiting a bit to see if I can find any other way of fixing the issue or improving it at least.

We're in the same boat with running this game on modern rigs. Sucks to see how it won't run perfectly. Check this thread out: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=51482.0

You'll see I experienced the same issues. If you can come up with a better fix than I suggested, let me know. I'll really try to get that patch out someday soon. I've been sidetracked by playing Skyrim. Grin

IP Logged