Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) UMP3 input needed (Read 128842 times)
KingKenny
Global Moderator

Hail to the king, baby!

Re: UMP3 input needed
Reply #30 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 11:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
x-M-x wrote on Feb 17th, 2015 at 10:32pm:
(Headache)

Master Server Patch will be it's 'own download' any future mappacks i.e (UMP3) will be separate (trust me that's better)

MS Patch (just to get the game online)

UMP3 (Get all the latest custom maps for your beautiful AVP2)

Yeah I agree. I forgot earlier when I said combine the two as an alternate download. That's a stupid idea because uploading a huge file every time something is updated would be ridiculous. I was for a light version if people really wanted it, but I prefer just having everything in one. That's what 00 wants to do anyways.

IP Logged

DT
Spawnkiller

Angry finn!

Reply #31 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 2:11am
Print Post Print Post  
Master Server Patch will be it's 'own download' any future mappacks i.e (UMP3) will be separate (trust me that's better)

Finally I see some sense in there. MS patch at its own, latest custom maps on its own, thats it. It should include the mappacks 1-6 aswell so that would take less dling. errm.. no.. that just goes way too complicated again, even for my brain.. Just add all the good playable maps in one, thats it. Simple. Everyone likes it. Good, no?

IP Logged

KingKenny
Global Moderator

Hail to the king, baby!

Reply #32 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 2:38am
Print Post Print Post  
DT wrote on Feb 18th, 2015 at 2:11am:

Finally I see some sense in there. MS patch at its own, latest custom maps on its own, thats it. It should include the mappacks 1-6 aswell so that would take less dling. errm.. no.. that just goes way too complicated again, even for my brain.. Just add all the good playable maps in one, thats it. Simple. Everyone likes it. Good, no?

lol I honestly don't get your frustration.

00 has nothing to do with the MS Patch. UMP3 is an entirely different thing from the MS Patch. He hasn't even made it yet.

If whoever decided to update the MS patch in the future wanted to combine UMP3 then it could be done, but a lot of people wont want to download a 1.5gb patch just to get online going. Also consider (what I forgot previously) that the upload time to update a UMP3+MS Patch combo every time one or the other would be updated would be a nightmare.

If UMP3 was uploaded by its own we can easily put the download link to it right under the MS patch. The extra 3 seconds to click a 2nd link won't hurt anyone.

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #33 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 2:46am
Print Post Print Post  
DT wrote on Feb 18th, 2015 at 2:11am:

Come here... you.... lol

IP Logged

Lucifer
Warriors

Ego te absolvo Hell Rules!

Reply #34 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 6:14am
Print Post Print Post  
relax guys
I wanted to inform you that Rommie was working on a project to solve this problem. build a client similar to the operation of steam. which allows clients to download from the server information and resources including maps.
This would allow greater compatibility.
I give you an example with another game on counter strike if you get into a normal server during the load times the client downloads the information from server for connect. if the server has a different map than the standard client manages the download of the resources needed to connect.
Unfortunately it is difficult to talk to Rommie. and I know he has little time for his work. but his idea is not to put on the second floor could be the future.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2015 at 6:18am by Lucifer »  

"Are you the devil? Perhaps abuse your position. Or dominate and control others instead of dominating yourself. Or bring illusions and hide the truth. Recognize your demonic side if you want to succeed in transcending it. "

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #35 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 12:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Lucifer wrote on Feb 21st, 2015 at 6:14am:
relax guys
I wanted to inform you that Rommie was working on a project to solve this problem. build a client similar to the operation of steam. which allows clients to download from the server information and resources including maps.
I give you an example with another game on counter strike if you get into a normal server during the load times the client downloads the information from server for connect. if the server has a different map than the standard client manages the download of the resources needed to connect.
Unfortunately it is difficult to talk to Rommie. and I know he has little time for his work. but his idea is not to put on the second floor could be the future.

Rommie? the same 'Rommie' who shutdown all the servers in AVP2 a while back tried to ban everyone ? this is why i don't do business or affiliate myself with him.... the guy is psychologically unstable and it's a shame... he has great skills and potential to make avp2 good but he just doesn't... and he always accuses everyone of ripping his work but in fact he was the one who stole from Bunny-s etc in the past.

He's a member on here but he knows everyone hates him (except DBH of course)

The guy needs to grow up... even if he made any of those mods or files i will never be hosting his work. (he tried to screw over the avp2 community some years back) and i don't take to kindly to that.

Ask around... many people know what he's like.

unfortunately it is difficult to talk to Rommie

I wouldn't bother... if you knew his past in AVP2 you would be disgusted lol.

-----------
Anyway - BACK ON TOPIC UMP3.

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2015 at 12:29pm by x-M-x »  
IP Logged

Imp Hunter
Spawnkiller

And yet it maps...

Reply #36 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 7:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hmm, for me UMP3 should be:

• All Bugged, unoptimized (low fps) or bad design / layout  maps removed.
  • Popular well designed maps after last UMP update added.
  • UMP2 updates rolled into UMP3

On the issue of maps in the master server patch you all know i think its an excellent idea however i want to hear peoples concerns over it and their reasons to oppose inclusion of maps, not just "I don't like it because". If we can understand each other we might just be able to reach some kind of agreement.

I understand quality could be an issue however myself and im sure other community members would volunteer to filter any potential maps to be included, this would be a public process and feedback giving to submitters. This has the added bonus of another way for the community to engage and help solidify avpunknown as the place to be for avp2 goings on (seen the twitter account, good thinking on that).

A complaint of size increase in master server patch doesn't really sit well with me, we live in a time when broadband is readily available. Of course i would be opposed to a drastic increase in size, 40mb to 400mb is something to raise an eyebrow over.

IP Logged

KingKenny
Global Moderator

Hail to the king, baby!

Reply #37 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 8:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Imp Hunter wrote on Feb 21st, 2015 at 7:02pm:
This has the added bonus of another way for the community to engage and help solidify avpunknown as the place to be for avp2 goings on (seen the twitter account, good thinking on that).

It already is in my opinion. All the other AvP2 sites vanished. I came up the twitter idea!

I love the idea of custom maps included in the MS patch and hate it at the same time. This thread is about UMP3. So the suggestion of UMP3 + MS patch is a possibility, but if it's not UMP3 and just some custom maps put into the MS Patch, it has nothing to do with UMP3 nor this thread. As for putting UMP3 and the MS patch in a bundle:

Pros:
1. Everyone has all the same maps. No player disconnects.
2. Yay, new maps!

Cons:
1. Forces custom content onto the user that he/she may not want. This is the worst offender for me personally.
2. Makes it hard for the user to find a server of official maps only if he/she wanted that.
3. Download size increase. Yes we all have better internet speeds nowadays, but the patch is intended to get online back up asap. So its worth noting.
4. Upload time compared to patch alone.
5. Having to re-upload the bundle if either the patch or ump3 were updated.
6. Also both tend to come as an executable, so one would have to be made to combine both if one or the other were updated.

Also a lot of it has to do with 00, x-M-x, and TBBC/Herr Alien or whoever decides to update the patch in the future.

Think about it. Does x-M-x want to host everything as a bundle? Does 00 want it bundled?

Honestly I think its just a lot easier if we put a download link for both RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER.

But that's just my opinion.

IP Logged

Spawnkiller

UMP Creator~

Reply #38 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 8:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
1Lucifer wrote on Feb 21st, 2015 at 6:14am:
relax guysI wanted to inform you that Rommie was working on a project to solve this problem. build a client similar to the operation of steam. which allows clients to download from the server information and resources including maps.This would allow greater compatibility.I give you an example with another game on counter strike if you get into a normal server during the load times the client downloads the information from server for connect. if the server has a different map than the standard client manages the download of the resources needed to connect.Unfortunately it is difficult to talk to Rommie. and I know he has little time for his work. but his idea is not to put on the second floor could be the future. 

I don't know how well that would work, if he can get it to work at all. Just look at all the files in UMP2, it work be a nightmare to get it to work bug free  Undecided

Imp Hunter wrote on Feb 21st, 2015 at 7:02pm:
Hmm, for me UMP3 should be: All Bugged, unoptimized (low fps) or bad design / layoutmaps removed. Popular well designed maps after last UMP update added. UMP2 updates rolled into UMP3

That's my plan so far  Cool

So I started to test all the maps in UMP2.4 (yes one at a time, its slow going, very slow) But I'm going to make 3 lists of maps.
One of the bad maps that NEED to be removed.
One of all the good/ok maps.
And one of all "maybe maps"(as I call it) I'll post all 3 lists there when I'm done so all you can look at them.
The "maybe maps" will be up to all of you, to add or not  Wink

I will not add new maps till I get all the bad/older version maps out.

DoubleZero

IP Logged

KingKenny
Global Moderator

Hail to the king, baby!

Reply #39 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 8:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
00 wrote on Feb 21st, 2015 at 8:17pm:
So I started to test all the maps in UMP2.4 (yes one at a time, its slow going, very slow) But I'm going to make 3 lists of maps.
One of the bad maps that NEED to be removed.
One of all the good/ok maps.
And one of all "maybe maps"(as I call it) I'll post all 3 lists there when I'm done so all you can look at them.
The "maybe maps" will be up to all of you, to add or not  Wink

I will not add new maps till I get all the bad/older version maps out.

DoubleZero

IP Logged

Lucifer
Warriors

Ego te absolvo Hell Rules!

Reply #40 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 12:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
DoubleZero
I'm sure that the whole community of AVP2 will be grateful for your work
if you need an alien  guinea pig to test the maps contact me in AVP2  client chat  you can find me always .
http://www.tbbcbase.net/files/AvP2Client.exe
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2015 at 1:02pm by Lucifer »  

"Are you the devil? Perhaps abuse your position. Or dominate and control others instead of dominating yourself. Or bring illusions and hide the truth. Recognize your demonic side if you want to succeed in transcending it. "

IP Logged

KingKenny
Global Moderator

Hail to the king, baby!

Reply #41 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 5:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
relax guys

Not to derail this topic, but I just remembered this video.

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2015 at 5:07pm by KingKenny »  

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #42 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 5:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
KingKenny wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 5:00pm:
relax guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_lFcWXjSRw

LOOOL

IP Logged

Acid
Unblooded

How did I get here??

Reply #43 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 6:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
KingKenny wrote on Feb 22nd, 2015 at 5:00pm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R_lFcWXjSRw

Poor Rommie!!! Cry

IP Logged

geran
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #44 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 12:42am
Print Post Print Post  
KingKenny wrote on Feb 18th, 2015 at 2:38am:
[...]
If whoever decided to update the MS patch in the future wanted to combine UMP3 then it could be done, but a lot of people wont want to download a 1.5gb patch just to get online going. Also consider (what I forgot previously) that the upload time to update a UMP3+MS Patch combo every time one or the other would be updated would be a nightmare.

If UMP3 was uploaded by its own we can easily put the download link to it right under the MS patch. The extra 3 seconds to click a 2nd link won't hurt anyone.

Why not letting the user choose what he wants to download?
Its a bit oversized but it is possible to 'generate' an installer package while downloading - an example of that is https://ninite.com/

You let the user choose, the user downloads a program, the program fetches the selected files (and continues if the internet is down - wget is pretty good for that) and installs them all.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print