Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Normal Topic [VIDEO TUTORIAL]How To Add Custom Sounds To AVP (Read 2863 times)
Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

[VIDEO TUTORIAL]How To Add Custom Sounds To AVP
Oct 6th, 2015 at 6:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Here's my video tutorial on how to add custom sounds to your game.

Here's the written tutorial:

Getting Started

First, you will need Fastfile Explorer and an audio-editing program. I recommend Audacity, which is easy to use and free.

Once you have Fastfile Explorer and Audacity installed, you have to figure out what sound effects you want. You will need to either find some websites that have sound clips for free download or record your own. You can also use Audacity to record sounds from your PC; that's a little shortcut if you can't find an actual audio clip by itself. Since this guide will be using taunts as a particular example, here are a couple of websites for taunts: Aliens, Predator

Download the sound clips you want or record them off your computer yourself. It doesn't really matter what file format you download them in.

Editing Your Sound Clip

Open up Audacity. File -> Open -> Select the sound file you wish to edit. With the default settings, you'll be able to see the wavelengths of the sound file you opened. Since you'll probably have extraneous parts before or after the part you want to have, highlight the part of the clip you wish to cut out (either click and drag or Shift+Click) and press Backspace. When you're done trimming the file, highlight all the sound. Go up to Effect, then click Amplify. If it gives you a positive number, click OK. If it gives you a negative number, click Cancel. This is to make sure the audio is at a reasonable volume in-game. Once you've amplified (or kept the same) the audio, follow these steps carefully.

• At the bottom left-hand side of Audacity, you should see a figure that says "Project Rate (Hz)." Set this to 9000.
  • Go to File -> Export.
  • Select the folder you wish to save the file to.
  • Underneath the file name, click the drop-down menu next to "Save as Type."
  • Select "Other uncompressed files."
  • Underneath Save and Cancel, select "Options."
  • For Header, select WAV (Microsoft), and for Encoding, select Unsigned 8 bit PCM.
  • Click Save.

Adding Your Sound Clip to the Game

Okay, so now you have your sound file in the right file format and cropped to the size you want. Now we have to put it in the actual game. This is where you'll need FastFile Explorer. Follow these steps to add your sound file to the game.

Find the fastfile you need to place the sound file in by exploring them. For our example, we're changing the marine taunts, and the fastfile for marine taunts is snd45.ffl. Open up snd45.ffl in Fastfile Explorer. In the upper left-hand side of the screen, open the Npc folder and the MarineVoice subfolder. On the bottom left-hand side of the screen you will see a list of .wav files. These are the sound files for the marine's voice. The first six .wav files are the marine's taunts.

Go to Edit -> Import. Find the sound file you just edited. Rename the file to the name of the taunt you wish to replace. Import the sound file and overwrite the original file in Fastfile Explorer. Play it back in the Explorer to make sure it plays.

Now when you play as the marine, the taunt(s) should be replaced. You can follow the same instructions for any sound effect in the game, as long as you know in which fastfile the sound file is located.

For those interested in looking at other people's sound mods, I compiled over one hundred different sound mods for the game (some of which I made myself) in a Universal Sounds Pack. You can download it here: http://www.moddb.com/members/olde72/addons/universal-sounds-pack
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2015 at 12:31am by Olde »  

Quote:
I insult you because of the asshole and scum that you prove us all to be.  - En Sabah Nur on TBBC Forums

Lucifer wrote on Oct 8th, 2016 at 9:54am:
go to fuck your self olde!

IP Logged