Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Locked Topic Project "Savior" (Read 70279 times)
Lucifer
Warriors

Ego te absolvo Hell Rules!

Re: Project "Savior"
Reply #45 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 5:53am

x-M-x wrote on Feb 2nd, 2016 at 11:12am:
No it isnt.... it's more like a communist state now.

(YOU DO AS I TELL YOU OR DONT PLAY AT ALL! - PLAY IT MY WAY OR THE HIGH WAY)  Roll Eyes

jawohl my fuhrer XD

F4 wrote on Feb 2nd, 2016 at 7:51pm:
KingKenny wrote on Feb 2nd, 2016 at 12:23pm:
Lucifer wrote on Feb 2nd, 2016 at 8:25am:
KingKenny wrote on Feb 1st, 2016 at 11:36pm:
That's one of the many reasons I refuse to use that mod.

true but you have to realize that normal people do not care what the master server or mod  is in use just play.

I don't care what other people use. If they want to be sheep they are free to do so. Can we all move on from this topic? It's rehashing something that happened a year ago over and over still. Tongue

Nothing wrong with beating a dead horse, is there? Oh wait ...

This is not a good time to wait,
It is a good time to react
yes ignorance is bliss!
how to use this to our advantage?

what I have in mind is not to start from scratch but to take a job that had already been done in the past.
adapt it and make it more compatible for 2016 and new os but without affecting the main structure of the game.
to do this I need one or more servers working continuously.
I remember that this old MS 1.5.3 (for exemple) had only one defect was slow to load a list of servers.
but this problem could be solved simply by using a client to connect.
a bit like the Russian servers.
Remains only to choose the server, to press on the right by the "Join Game" button and wait when the window will drop out with
question in the game main menu "Lauch The Game Using Gamespy Arcade Settings?" - choose "Yes". That's all.
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2016 at 7:42am by Lucifer »  

"Are you the devil? Perhaps abuse your position. Or dominate and control others instead of dominating yourself. Or bring illusions and hide the truth. Recognize your demonic side if you want to succeed in transcending it. "

IP Logged

Smith
Spawnkiller

Dallas Smith

Reply #46 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 5:43pm

Haha, I'm pretty sure the TBBC leader is a guy? (or is he/she?)

I'm pretty sure you folks would have the answer to this since you worked with them at one time.

I know the TBBC leader's right hand man (or girl) is Elsa and she's a girl, she polices the servers and such.

It's not all bad though. I get annoyed sometimes of how cess-poolish it gets sometimes. For example like when you have people glitching, talking shit and calling anyone who is better a hacker, or doing stupid shit like netting other preds. But most of the time it's fun. The only people I ever see banned from the TBBC servers are hackers or people that are a huge nuisance. As far as I know, the ban mechanism on TBBC server mod is extremely thorough. And I've never seen or heard of anyone who have been permanently banned under false accusations. If the server mod itself doesn't detect a hack, it's a good chance no ones hacking.
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2016 at 5:50pm by Smith »  

IP Logged

F4
Spawnkiller

Reply #47 - Feb 4th, 2016 at 8:00am

Smith wrote on Feb 3rd, 2016 at 5:43pm:
Haha, I'm pretty sure the TBBC leader is a guy? (or is he/she?)

I'm pretty sure you folks would have the answer to this since you worked with them at one time.

I know the TBBC leader's right hand man (or girl) is Elsa and she's a girl, she polices the servers and such.

It's not all bad though. I get annoyed sometimes of how cess-poolish it gets sometimes. For example like when you have people glitching, talking shit and calling anyone who is better a hacker, or doing stupid shit like netting other preds. But most of the time it's fun. The only people I ever see banned from the TBBC servers are hackers or people that are a huge nuisance. As far as I know, the ban mechanism on TBBC server mod is extremely thorough. And I've never seen or heard of anyone who have been permanently banned under false accusations. If the server mod itself doesn't detect a hack, it's a good chance no ones hacking.

I either misunderstood or I was incorrectly informed. Then again? Reading through some of the logs and hearing the stories being told? It does have a hint of feminine tantrums in there. Wouldn't you agree?

Haven't joined any of tbbc's servers, so I wouldn't know if I would be banned at this time. I'm pretty sure I would be in a heartbeat. Considering I managed to piss off a "certain someone" so bad he had to flip on his cheat to actually give a good fight. That alone indicates what kind of a person I'm playing with.

I'm willing to overlook people like that if they're dealt with. Which has happened just under 2 days ago. It made the game a bit more enjoyable in Put's server. All nice and quiet and good fights were had. Every now and then you got some tbbc member showing up who actually delivers. Unlike "someone" we know. :]

What I don't appreciate from tbbc's memberbase is bashing Put's server(s). Telling us to go to tbbc's server 'cause Put's server is so bad and it lags and bla bla bla bla bla. I wouldn't mind if it's only told once or twice every so often. But for some reason it has to be told for several map rotations.

Playing in Put's serv is a luxury compared to how things once were. So it makes me ask myself if they (TBBC members) ever were playing AvP2 before Sierra pulled the plug? Do they even know what they are talking about and how things were then? Or are they they some freeloaders who never even bought the game and just downloaded it after it officially died? They should feel lucky they still have (15 years down the line) a chance to play this game.

Which brings me down to tbbc's attitude towards avpunknown's vets. These guys, including Jeff and Alex, built this from scratch. It was always agreed nothing was to be touched or changed in the game. If people wanted to do this? Traditionally they had to do this through mods. Which has always been this way. For some reason this agreement was breached and caused a shitstorm.

Tbbc should, above all people, feel lucky he was given the privilege to support "LITHFAQ's" creation. Yet undesired and enforced changes were made, the original author's work went uncredited, support was dropped by the community and simply caused even furthermore decline in numbers. This game is even more dead than Primal Hunt was in 2006. Which only had DTH and some randoms left. Only this time it's TBBC and some randoms that are left.

Ultimately, if the right decisions aren't made, this will end up in a split community. Infact, It already has. It just hasn't gone to the extend of 2 sides fighting each other over who has the "better" offer. 15 years later and this game is still having community problems. The best avp game to be ever created and it's multiplayer cannot be enjoyed the way it should be.

Anywho! While we wait for this situation to (pardon the French) unfuck itself. You can find us in a Pred vs. Pred server which will be hosted by Put (Thanks again, Put!). Just like old times, except when we're having melee matches, all weapons are allowed to be used. So be sure to join up if you're into that!
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2016 at 11:07am by F4 »  

~Good day, sir!
IP Logged

KingKenny
Global Moderator

Hail to the king, baby!

Reply #48 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 12:49am

I don't want to get involved in this again, but you bring up a lot of good points; it's like I wrote that.

F4 wrote on Feb 4th, 2016 at 8:00am:
So it makes me ask myself if they (TBBC members) ever were playing AvP2 before Sierra pulled the plug? Do they even know what they are talking about and how things were then? Or are they they some freeloaders who never even bought the game and just downloaded it after it officially died? They should feel lucky they still have (15 years down the line) a chance to play this game.

I looked at a lot of their forum profiles in the past to see their ages. Most of them were 9-13 when AvP2 came out. Most of them probably don't know who Modmaker was or ever used Gamespy. So yes, many of them are freeloaders.

Which brings me down to tbbc's attitude towards avpunknown's vets. These guys, including Jeff and Alex, built this from scratch. It was always agreed nothing was to be touched or changed in the game. If people wanted to do this? Traditionally they had to do this through mods. Which has always been this way. For some reason this agreement was breached and caused a shitstorm.

Again this tradition was thrown out the window because these are mostly freeloaders.

Ultimately, if the right decisions aren't made, this will end up in a split community. Infact, It already has. It just hasn't gone to the extend of 2 sides fighting each other over who has the "better" offer. 15 years later and this game is still having community problems. The best avp game to be ever created and it's multiplayer cannot be enjoyed the way it should be.

Honestly, AvP2 has one of the worst communities ever.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2016 at 12:52am by KingKenny »  

IP Logged

Smith
Spawnkiller

Dallas Smith

Reply #49 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 1:33am

I try to keep out of drama, but sometimes I like to rile up the trolls and get them pissed off.

I could only imagine if AVP2 had voice chat integrated into it like a lot of Steam Source engine games do, I'm actually glad it doesn't. If people are this goofy over text, imagine how annoying it would be to hear them flapping their yaps over voice.

I'm only 24 so I was young when I started playing, it was a few years before the master server went out. I may have been 14. Regardless, the community seemed so well mannered in hindsight. Nowadays, people are so quick to yell hacker just because someone is better than them. My primary player choice is Marine and I get accused on a regular basis, which is ridiculous since I miss a lot. Mostly by the people that have the childishness of a 6 year old.

But oh well,
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2016 at 1:41am by Smith »  

IP Logged

Olde
AvP Classic Support

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #50 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 8:40am

KingKenny wrote on Feb 5th, 2016 at 12:49am:

qft

Now, coming as I do from AvP2's predecessor, I blame the game for lending itself to a lot of this behavior. The fact that it is so easy to abuse (I would say poorly made) and so easy to glitch your way to winning or take advantage of the game's obvious flaws lends itself inherently to exploitation. I'm talking about all the dev's oversights, including glitches and balancing, like making the marine broken and making the alien essentially useless, as well as questionable design choices, such as the fact that you can see players before they spawn in, and not de-incentivizing players from using explosives. Leadworks, one of the most popular maps, can be summed up as: "HAR HAR HAR, I used boomy, you go kablooey!" That mentality of quick and easy exploitative frags is not only juvenile and stupid, but it ends up being cheap because the frags all count, even when the engine limits the player's mobility in dodging.

Another big point is that there's very little to confirm that the way you got killed was legit because you don't see the hit. Instead of seeing the shot connect the instant you get hit, you see the camera circle uselessly around your body. You don't even see an icon of the weapon used to kill you. If you at least saw the connect, there might not be as much mistrust. There are also too many ways to abuse the game's lenience. All games have things you learn to get better, but with AvP2 it just seems to me like you learn how to take advantage of certain things that get you cheap kills or help you narrowly avoid death and then immediately turn the tables on your enemy (such as dropping from such a height to survive and then hiding in a certain vantage point that makes it nearly impossible for you to get hit).

I'm positive that these things and more naturally fed into the mentality behind AvP2 hackers. If you REALLY think about what the game was made for, that is, young kids who just want to blow shit up, any player worth his salt can see that it naturally attracts people with a certain mindset. This mindset is that of the spammer, the exploiter, the glitcher, and the freeloader. People who want frags without trying. You know when they say "Don't hate the player, hate the game?" Well, there you go. Hacking didn't happen just because it was inevitable, it happened because the mentality behind it is intrinsically bound up with the game's concept. Because of all these reasons, hacking and hackusations are as prevalent as they are.

These things are clear to me because you see very similar things in AvP1, although not so much glitch abuse, up until you ban the grenade launcher, skeeter launcher, predator pistol, and predator disc. Once those weapons are banned, the game becomes entirely different, reliant on skill and accuracy rather than exploit abuse. Aside from the spamming of the aforementioned weapons, it is exceedingly difficult to exploit your way to victory in AvP1. It really does come down to strategy, skill, and practice. That's not to say that AvP1 didn't have hacking trainers released, on the contrary, many players tried to combat skilled players by hacking. But AvP1 hacking is almost non-existent now, even though it's actually much easier to hack AvP1 than AvP2. Smiley

But hey, just my unasked for twocents.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2016 at 8:44am by Olde »  

Quote:
I insult you because of the asshole and scum that you prove us all to be.  - En Sabah Nur on TBBC Forums

Lucifer wrote on Oct 8th, 2016 at 9:54am:
go to fuck your self olde!

IP Logged

Lucifer
Warriors

Ego te absolvo Hell Rules!

Reply #51 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 9:54am

Dear Olde

it is true AVP2 is unbalanced but in the past this imbalance was offset right from the game imprecision.
Pass me the term i admired his imperfection.
I can say is that the passage of time the game has undergone a sort of bastardization.
certainly try to make the game more safer proof haker was a noble purpose.
but sometimes even if you are acting in good faith to try to improve the game and make it more secure and more competitive it has dramatically changed the main mechanical.

dear  mr Z
it is very rare these days to find people who are more interested to hone their skills , people who do not need to exploit or bugs ,people of honor.
it's just very rare.
but not impossible  Wink
what I miss now and just a place where I could relax with people who are more interested in playing than to win.
a place called home where to go after a hard day's work.

Smith !!
There is a fine line between who  like just playing and who cares only win (no matter at what price)
some unfair people will always exist.
but I find stupid the principle of cheating especially on an old game of 15 years.
changing the subject (please to change too)
I think in principle the use of voice chat was buried with the project done for the playstation.
but this is only one of my outlandish theories.

Remember King !

only a sith lives of absolute

The behavior of the proud
Usually the person superb little is known; It's so infatuated with himself that any attempt to make it more aware is useless. Does not want to listen to reason, he does not tolerate any contradiction and likes the company of sycophants.
Pride causes man to oppose to every inner transformation; did everything he could so that man does not see what's good in the other, you do not forgive, he does not express his feelings and emotions, is not authentic, do not try to do anything for his personal growth.

The solutions to correct the pride
Corrective of pride is humility, but not one that coincides with the decline of self to the of 'self-deprecation limit. Rather, humility which restrains the impulse to ignore their limitations and pursuing goals that are not within their reach.
The awareness of one's limitations allows everyone to be proud of himself without having to submit to another to humility, because in this case it would not humility, but of humiliation.

« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2016 at 12:43pm by Lucifer »  

"Are you the devil? Perhaps abuse your position. Or dominate and control others instead of dominating yourself. Or bring illusions and hide the truth. Recognize your demonic side if you want to succeed in transcending it. "

IP Logged

F4
Spawnkiller

Reply #52 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 10:40am

I looked at a lot of their forum profiles in the past to see their ages. Most of them were 9-13 when AvP2 came out. Most of them probably don't know who Modmaker was or ever used Gamespy. So yes, many of them are freeloaders.

Again this tradition was thrown out the window because these are mostly freeloaders.

There's many factors that contributed towards this. One of them, like you pointed out, is the age of a person. But what contributed the most in this, in my opinion, is a person's personality.

Our social identity, the person we assume to be in our social intercourse, is  a "mask" that involves the repression of our inadmissible impulses. But it is precisely in the conditions of "just playing" - when the rules regulating our "real life" exchanges are temporarily suspended - that we can permit ourselves to display these repressed attitudes.

Take the proverbial impotent shy person who, while participating in an interactive game, adopts the identity of an irresistible seducer or sadistic murderer. It is all too simple to say that this identity is just an imaginary escape from real-life impotence.

Since he knows that a game is "just a game," he can show his true self" and do things he would never have done in real-life interactions. In the guise of a fiction, the truth about himself is articulated.

The fact an individual, as I just described, perceives his virtual self-image as mere play. Allows him to suspend the usual hindrances which prevents him from realising his "dark half" in real life.

'Til this very day, AvP2 and many other online communities suffer from this.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2016 at 10:41am by F4 »  

~Good day, sir!
IP Logged

F4
Spawnkiller

Reply #53 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 10:57am

Smith wrote on Feb 5th, 2016 at 1:33am:
I could only imagine if AVP2 had voice chat integrated into it like a lot of Steam Source engine games do, I'm actually glad it doesn't. If people are this goofy over text, imagine how annoying it would be to hear them flapping their yaps over voice.

AvP2's devs most wisest choice. No ingame voice chat. Thank fuck for that.

I'm only 24 so I was young when I started playing, it was a few years before the master server went out. I may have been 14. Regardless, the community seemed so well mannered in hindsight.

Memories ...

Nowadays, people are so quick to yell hacker just because someone is better than them. My primary player choice is Marine and I get accused on a regular basis, which is ridiculous since I miss a lot.

It's always been like this. Blame that on shitlords who effectively cheated and STILL do so this very day.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2016 at 11:35am by F4 »  

~Good day, sir!
IP Logged

F4
Spawnkiller

Reply #54 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 11:34am

Lucifer wrote on Feb 5th, 2016 at 9:54am:
it is very rare these days to find people who are more interested to hone their skills , people who do not need to exploit or bugs ,people of honor.
it's just very rare.
but not impossible  Wink
what I miss now and just a place where I could relax with people who are more interested in playing than to win.
a place called home where to go after a hard day's work.

If people are still in AvP2 to win. Then ... Well ... They're way too late and in this game for the wrong reasons. Despite it's flaws, people should enjoy this game as it's the better avp game ever made.

In your case. Joining a clan/group who play several games is your way to go. You'll be distracted from avp2's embarrassing state and actually have some fun.

Which reminds me to actually play some MGO/The Haunted/ESO/MWO/whatever with the guys. A little distraction after tonight's Pred v Pred brawl.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2016 at 12:16pm by F4 »  

~Good day, sir!
IP Logged

F4
Spawnkiller

Reply #55 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 11:38am

WARNING: huge wall of (irrelevant) text if you should decide to go and "actually" read it. Roll Eyes

tl;dr?
Kenny's awesomesauce and someone is losing sleep over it.

Followed by this quality post:

Surely calling Put a liar and implying his programming sucks will clear your name:

Newsflash! There is no one left in the game due to people being banned left and right by you dudes. Also confirming using predvision/alien aura on a human character is considered "skilled" these days.

« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2016 at 1:48pm by F4 »  

~Good day, sir!
IP Logged

Smith
Spawnkiller

Dallas Smith

Reply #56 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 6:26pm

Quote:
Our social identity, the person we assume to be in our social intercourse, is  a "mask" that involves the repression of our inadmissible impulses. But it is precisely in the conditions of "just playing" - when the rules regulating our "real life" exchanges are temporarily suspended - that we can permit ourselves to display these repressed attitudes.

Take the proverbial impotent shy person who, while participating in an interactive game, adopts the identity of an irresistible seducer or sadistic murderer. It is all too simple to say that this identity is just an imaginary escape from real-life impotence.

Since he knows that a game is "just a game," he can show his true self" and do things he would never have done in real-life interactions. In the guise of a fiction, the truth about himself is articulated.

The fact an individual, as I just described, perceives his virtual self-image as mere play. Allows him to suspend the usual hindrances which prevents him from realising his "dark half" in real life.

'Til this very day, AvP2 and many other online communities suffer from this.

I think it would be a problem with any online community. I like to compare it to a situation where one would interact with a waiter/waitress in a restaurant. A good judging of a person is to observe how they act towards people that are employed to serve them. If someone is rude and nasty to a waiter/waitress for no reason (Or even small inconveniences that are not caused by a waiter/waitress), you can assume they are not a nice person at heart, regardless of how they treat you personally. Why do they do this? Well, because they can. Anything short of physically assaulting them or causing a disturbance most likely will never be met with any repercussions. They are free to vent their frustrations and anger to this person at the expense of their feelings. The person serving them won't slap them, or even argue, because they'll get fired. I had an ex-girlfriend who was a waitress at one time. She told me a few stories of how a few people berated her and made her feel extremely upset over something (usually trivial and insignificant) that was out of her control. Compare that to these people's acquaintances or the average Joe on the street. They aren't bound by the expectations of an employer. So there's a chance they could just whack you in the face if you're nasty.

Same rules apply here in an online gaming environment. I assume everyone is in the same situation, they act how they truly are. There are many people that I have known in this community who are genuinely good people who rarely cause any trouble. But there are many people who are less than stellar, not necessarily all of them in this category are mean. Some are mostly harmless but annoying, and some are just people that never have anything good to say, and try to ruin experiences for everyone else.

Off topic, but I do remember a little bit of the good days. Specifically the UMP2 servers. I always had fun on them, and there seemed to be at least a few people always playing them. I'm not sure if this was before or after the MS, but I do remember having a lot of fun on a "Suk-Stronghold 24/7" server. It was probably the most fun I've had on this game.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2016 at 6:45pm by Smith »  

IP Logged

F4
Spawnkiller

Reply #57 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 8:48am

Smith wrote on Feb 5th, 2016 at 6:26pm:
Off topic, but I do remember a little bit of the good days. Specifically the UMP2 servers. I always had fun on them, and there seemed to be at least a few people always playing them. I'm not sure if this was before or after the MS, but I do remember having a lot of fun on a "Suk-Stronghold 24/7" server. It was probably the most fun I've had on this game.

I remember the server name. But the exact time of it being hosted? No idea.
I played in servers where good fights were to be had. Most of them were owned by people I knew, they were pretty solid players and could take quite a punch.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2016 at 8:48am by F4 »  

~Good day, sir!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print