Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Normal Topic hakers in avpc (Read 7482 times)
Lucifer
Warriors

Ego te absolvo Hell Rules!

hakers in avpc
Oct 12th, 2015 at 7:05am
Print Post Print Post  

"Are you the devil? Perhaps abuse your position. Or dominate and control others instead of dominating yourself. Or bring illusions and hide the truth. Recognize your demonic side if you want to succeed in transcending it. "

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Re: hakers in avpc
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2015 at 11:43am
Print Post Print Post  
Just seen that link, the guy said 'no way to kick at all' wtf?

with the source code released... someone must of made a security mod or something in the past 16 years?

Olde will know the answer.

Cheesy

IP Logged

Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2015 at 2:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Indeed, I saw the thread as well. I believe that person saw advanced aliens using the speed moves and concluded incorrectly that they were hackers.

There have been no anti-hacking protocols for AVPC that I'm aware of. Kicking was made possible in the MelPyth mod, which kept a handful of AVP Gold players going between 2008-2010. Even though it's easy to code in a kicker into Gold edition (hell, it's so easy I could actually do it if I had the proper tools), that doesn't affect anything AVPC-related.

But UberFoX and I have been talking and bouncing off ideas for a security warden for our uMod. We were surprised to learn that a couple of people have still been using it, and when I play I always use it. It needs rebalancing in other respects, but if we get the kinks worked out and can get motivated enough to "get the band back together," we can resume work on the uMod and realise our vision for a security warden. I just got a new job and am in the process of moving, so it'll be about a week or two before any progress is made.

Since it's anti-hacking shit and we haven't tested anything yet, I kinda don't want to spill the beans on what our ideas are. Suffice it to say that we did figure out how to Kick (and even vote-kick Shocked) uMod users through the uMod. That takes care of uMod users, but what about people without it? After all, cheaters won't use the mod because it prevents them from hacking. We want our mod's security warden to do both of these things:

1. Make it possible to have private matches with the uMod only. This means that no one without the mod would be able to join or even see the server as visible on the server list. The point of this would be that everyone would have the same stats and no one could hack. UberFoX had a fantastic idea for how to implement this.

2. Make it possible for the uMod to kick non-uMod users from the game if it detects anything other than the vanilla game or uMod. This includes godmode, infinite ammo, having all weapons, rapid fire, and using the jetpack/grappling hook. This has been the real difficulty, finding a way to kick non-umodders. He and I came up with an idea for this, too. Again, it needs testing and programming when we have more time.

The long and short of it is there's no way to code a security system without it being an external mod. We're looking into implementing it into our mod and if so, it might be a good incentive for people to use it. We haven't done any work on it in a few weeks but might get back into it. Hacking has always been a problem for AVP because it's so easy, and unfortunately there's always a way for people to sneak in through the cracks. I was shocked at a discovery I made showing how easy it is to cheat on AVP nowadays; it's actually easier than it's ever been.  Embarrassed But yeah, we'll hopefully start to work on it soon enough.

Quote:
I insult you because of the asshole and scum that you prove us all to be.  - En Sabah Nur on TBBC Forums

Lucifer wrote on Oct 8th, 2016 at 9:54am:
go to fuck your self olde!

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 3:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
About time, and good job! hopefully you and your team can sort something out soon?

I'm actually shocked that no one at all in your community bothered to make some type of security for the online play ?

in avp2 we have 3 main types of server security mods... 2 are not released (not surprised)

1 is for public, made by Rommie (which gives security to servers)

You guys in AVP99/Classic need some type of security.

Let us know your progress over time.

IP Logged

Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2015 at 1:31am
Print Post Print Post  
x-M-x wrote on Oct 14th, 2015 at 3:41pm:
I'm actually shocked that no one at all in your community bothered to make some type of security for the online play ?

AVPC on Steam has the ability to host private games, where you can only join directly via their profile. You know where it says they're currently in-game and you can join them? Clicking that is the only way to join a private server; if your profile is on private, then the only people who can join is your friends. That's what people have relied on, I guess. It doesn't help the public server situation, though. That's what we're trying to rectify.

Quote:
I insult you because of the asshole and scum that you prove us all to be.  - En Sabah Nur on TBBC Forums

IP Logged

Olde
Forum Moderator

I'm the Walkin' Dude

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2015 at 7:17am
Print Post Print Post  
I took this video out of its unlisted status to answer a question on Steam forums. Might as well post it on this thread to show that kicking (vote-kicking, no less) is possible in AVP Classic 2000.

Quote:

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2015 at 12:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Olde wrote on Oct 20th, 2015 at 7:17am:
I took this video out of its unlisted status to answer a question on Steam forums. Might as well post it on this thread to show that kicking (vote-kicking, no less) is possible in AVP Classic 2000.

LOL... he exploded upon KICK? oh man i died....

That shit needs to be in the game not just in umod.

Still awesome though.

IP Logged