Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Normal Topic How to fix tiny subtitles in AVP 2 + Primal Hunt? (Read 5660 times)
MarshalBureau2014
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

How to fix tiny subtitles in AVP 2 + Primal Hunt?
Apr 19th, 2022 at 9:41am
Print Post Print Post  
Hello. Could you tell me, please, whether there is a mod for AvP 2 and Primal Hunt that increases the size of in-game subtitles in widescreen resolutions? Master Server Patch & DgVoodoo 2 together seem to have fixed most of the technical issues except for one frustrating one: tiny subtitles that have to be viewed with a magnifying glass if one plays in 1080p or a higher resolution. I can only read them without squinting my eyes if I run the game in 640x480.

I brought up this issue on another forum and was advised to use the DgVoodoo 2 settings to force a widescreen resolution while choosing 640x480 (the resolution where subtitles are big enough to be read comfortably) in the game settings themselves. This didn't seem to work once I tried it. The HUD is still the same as in 640x480 which is too big for my taste, with a marine radar taking up too much space on the screen.

Is it possible to combine the HUD from 1920x1080 with the subtitle fonts from 640x480? I just want to increase the subtitle font size while keeping the HUD scaled correctly in 1080p, without any oversized icons on my screen.

There's a mod pack on ModDB called "Nolf_PACK: Multilingual GUI, Widescreen, MODERNIZER" that does just that in NOLF 1 which was made on the same engine as AvP 2. One of the mods included in that pack, FontSizeFix_03.REZ, adds bigger subtitle fonts to the game.

I tried to just copy it to the AvP 2 folder, but the game predictably crashed on launch. Is it possible for members responsible for maintaining Master Server Patch to adapt that fix for AvP 2 and Primal Hunt as well, maybe in the next update? Those tiny subtitles seem to be one of the few unaddressed technical issues AvP 2 still has.
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2022 at 10:02am by MarshalBureau2014 »  

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Re: How to fix tiny subtitles in AVP 2 + Primal Hunt?
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2022 at 8:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

Maybe "possible" but not seen a mod like this myself, have you tried asking in the avp2 discord?

Or maybe an active modder could take a look into this, perhaps?

If it's possible in NOLF, then should be possible in AVP2.

AvP2 Community Discord here

https://discord.com/invite/esPD62d

Cheers
x-M-x
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2022 at 8:31pm by x-M-x »  
IP Logged

MarshalBureau2014
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Re: How to fix tiny subtitles in AVP 2 + Primal Hunt?
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2022 at 9:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you for your reply, x-M-x.

I've just posted a message in the Discord channel about it as you suggested. Several days ago I also asked the NOLF mod pack's creator on ModDB about porting NOLF subtitle fonts to AVP 2, but haven't received any reply yet.

I just wondered if you could check out that FontSizeFix_03.REZ file to see how it works and whether it can be made part of a new Master Server update.

IP Logged