Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  (UTC)
AvP Unknown
News:
Normal Topic AVP launches once then never again. (Read 614 times)
Randaworgie
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

AVP launches once then never again.
Feb 18th, 2024 at 11:23am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi, I've ran into a bit of a odd problem, When I install AVP either via your exp, iso or my original disks. I can only ever get the game to launch once but its fully playable and I can customize settings with no issue, but as soon as I close the game after that first launch it never opens again.

Let me provide some details to help
I'm on windows 10, this happens on both retail disk, exe and iso unknown version, for both base and primal hunt, I can uninstall and reinstall and get to play again but as soon as I close the program it refuses to go past the launcher.
On first time load up the launcher pops up fine and it sometimes struggles when I choose my default graphics settings, usually low will get me to go in where as pressing the high button is a 50/50 of launch. after this I can go into the settings in-game and change resoulution graphics options everything works fine.
then after a crash or I close it, I can still open the launcher but instead of the game launching I simply get a small black box for a few seconds then it disappears. I believe this to be the lithtech engine trying to load but failing. anyway this has stumped me hard and I wondered if anyone had any ideas?

IP Logged

Randaworgie
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Re: AVP launches once then never again.
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2024 at 12:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
**Update**

I decided to try other lithtec games, After installing NOLF from my CD it would not get past the launcher much the same, however NOLF2 did get past launcher and I could open and close the game several times without issue, unsure if this is relevant but with it being the same engine I figure if I could get NOLF to work I could get AVP to work, following this chain I found a thread about disableing "HID-compliant vendor-defined device" in the device manager, after doing so my NOFL started to get past the launcher and play, with that working I deicded to try AVP2 and to my joy it also is now working *fingers crossed* with several times opening and closeing the game, it just seems like some modern hardware is having an issue with it.

If there is anyone else with this issue I hope this helps them, I was almost ready to try and get a VM with W98 set up on it or pull out an old motherboard and build a machine to try and play this again.

IP Logged

x-M-x
Administrator

'Defiance'

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2024 at 12:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello & Welcome!

Please try this.

DINPUT.DLL

https://avpunknown.com/avp2files/avp2dll/dinput.zip

The "dinput" fixes a common crash when you launch the game and any problems with keybindings.

Place it in your avp2 folder and relaunch.

We Also have a community discord here if you're interested.

https://discord.com/invite/esPD62d

Cheers
x-M-x

IP Logged

Randaworgie
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2024 at 12:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks I'll give this a try out!

IP Logged

Randaworgie
Spawnkiller

AVP Rules!!!

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 12:08am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks! this works great! Much appreciated.

IP Logged